Chapter 7

The cats of MistClan and BreezeClan gathered together now, speaking peacefully amongst each other.

"I don't understand... one of my own apprentices having a leader's vision... it's beyond me..!" Hopestar gasped, pacing back and forth, Brownstar watching her every move.

"Hopestar..." Mothpaw called from across the clearing. "...this is serious. What if Mistpaw was made to get such a vision? What if she's important and we're not taking any action towards it?!"

"Mothpaw, this doesn't involve you," Hopestar sighed dismissively, flicking her tail at her. "Rest your paw in the apprentices' den. I'm sending all of MistClan's apprentices to bed for the night."

"But-"

"Enough, Mothpaw. We'll discuss this later on. For now, Brownstar and I must discuss matters privately."

"I... just... ugh!" She stuttered, angrily marching back to her den and flopping down in her nest.

"Mothpaw..?"

"I don't get it, Icepaw!" She groaned. "Why doesn't Hopestar just understand that maybe Mistpaw got that weird message for a reason?!"

Icepaw only stood hesitantly, shaking her head.

"You seem quiet, sister. Is something wrong?"

"...well, I just heard recently from Hopestar that we'd passed our warriors' assessments."

"What? But I sprained my paw! And assessments? We haven't been given a real test yet!"

"No, but apparently Whitefur had told her that we had been impressive in helping track her down when she went missing from camp. Saying that Mistpaw would've wanted us to have some of the credit... we get made warriors in two days. She ignored the assessment needs. She's waiting until your paw heals to make us both warriors," she replied, then lying down.

Mothpaw stood still, turning to Mistpaw, sleeping soundly beside her.

"You mean... I won't... be able to talk to her again?"

"Likely not until she's made a warrior. Same thing with Ivypaw and Sedgepaw. I'm gonna miss them, all three of them. If only our time hadn't been so short."

Mothpaw only looked down at her paws, shutting her eyes tightly.

Her sister's unexpected misery had gotten to her quickly.

She only curled up in her nest, next to Mistpaw as usual, and sighed, looking at the small gray and white figure nearby her.

Mistpaw... I'm sorry.

***

Moons had passed since that interaction had occurred. Mistpaw had soon entered the final stages of her training, along with her siblings. The other apprentices had become warriors, Mothnose and Icewing.

"Hey, Mistpaw. Time to head out again."

"Oh. Yes, Whitefur. I'll see you both later," she replied to her siblings, now joining her mentor as he now padded out of the camp.

As the time had passed, her mentor's tone and personality had inexplicably shifted from humorous to serious. She could never see him in the same way again.

"So... we're just going to be hunting in the outskirts of-"

"Whitefur," Mistpaw replied, stopping both of them. "We've been doing this for many mornings now. I've been hoping that I could continue with my warrior assessments now?"

He then sat in the sunlight, looking away.

"...it wasn't supposed to be this way."

Only a half moon ago, Jaykit had gotten a severe infection from a head injury. He had fallen into the lake, and Whitefur had saved him.