Chapter 19

"Look, Mistfur!" The exuberant voice of Mistfur's apprentice cut through the quiet air as he ran through the grass, a very small mouse twitching in his jaws. "I did it!"

She gave a small purr in response and praised him, thinking the elders would appreciate it. It had been several days since Redfur's death already, and Mistfur was back to training her apprentice as usual.

Life had been rather quiet, though the silence was more than needed after all that had happened.

Mistfur could not help but wonder why, however- that it had been so eerily silent all this time.

No, she realized. This is just what they want, I can't just be happy about such silence.

Looking up again, she'd noticed Jaypaw had disappeared, leaving the mouse behind. Scolding herself briefly for getting lost in thought, Mistfur took a deep breath to try to find his scent, until she noticed him backing away from a bush.

"Mistfur... we should go," his tone was more of an urgent whisper.

So much for silence.

"Why?" She whispered back. "What did you see?"

All of a sudden, she was more than aware of the situation, hearing two voices.

"I just don't think this is right, Crowpool."

"Shut your mouth, Red, I can't believe you're backing out now. If Aloe were here, he would not be pleased."

"Don't bring him into this. We've already caused too much harm."

"We? This is all on you. You're the one who agreed to go through with it. And Aloe, he trusted you, and you just turned your back on him!"

"I- I never wanted Ivywing's father to come to harm. You swore those dogs wouldn't-"

"Oh, shut up! You're going soft because that she-cat you like is going through some depressive state."

"She lost her father, Crowpool. What would you do if you lost yours?!"

"I never knew anything about my father. Only my mother. I'm the wrong cat to ask."

Mistfur growled, backing away.

I knew it..!

"Let's go," she sharply hissed to Jaypaw, signaling their leave.

I need to tell Hopestar...

***

Red's fur bristled as the bluish-gray tom continued to angrily spat his words, though he kept his resolve as he continued to speak.

"Well, what of your mother? Would she be impressed by the way her son turned out?"

"Who cares?! She dumped me and my siblings here like she didn't care at all."

He stiffened.

Was this how I was treating these poor cats, all along? All they tried to do was be a family. All anyone wanted to do was live harmoniously. And I... I ruined that. Crowpool, I thought I could trust him, but... that was before I learned he had not a shred of humanity. Yet there are cats... like Ivywing, who wanted to show me true good... none of those cats in FireClan behaved like a real clan. But MistClan does...

"Well... whatever you do, I'm not getting involved in it."

"You're backing out. Now? After all we've-"

"I don't care. I can't do anything else to Ivywing, or her clanmates. This is wrong. I should just stay in the elders' den and atone for what I've done."