Chapter 11

A/N: Thank you all for your support of this rewrite. As a reminder, I am in college, so I cannot work on this frequently, but regardless, I am still glad I am writing something everyone enjoys. In the last chapter, I mentioned if this story got over 50 votes, I would rewrite "Into the Clans". I am still holding myself to this promise. I've also become really invested in creating a big family tree for this story alone, so I did that over on my dA G3T-ZILLYF1ED. Be warned, though, it contains major spoilers. The family tree is 100% canon all the way up to the epilogue. Let me know if I should make one for Into the Clans or if there's another character's family you'd like me to delve into more... Also, patrons on my Patreon G3T_ZILLYF1ED got a preview of this chapter a day early by pledging to my second tier. in any case, enough with my self-promo and on with the chapter. Enjoy.

---

Mistfur breathed out a heavy sigh as Whitefur followed her out of the camp slowly.

What if they were right after all..?

"The breeze is nice tonight, isn't it?" Whitefur then asked gently. "A strangely warm night too."

Mistfur only nodded.

"Um, Whitefur?" She asked, watching as he only tipped his head. "You were going to tell me something earlier, weren't you?"

Bashfully, he nodded.

"Yeah. I did want to tell you something. I just... wanted to get far away from camp first. I believe we're far enough," he whispered, and laid against the grass slowly and stretched, gesturing for the young she-cat to follow. Hesitantly, she lay near him.

"So... what was it?"

He only sighed, looking away.

"I... felt like I should tell you something about myself, something I should have opened up about long ago. No one talks about it much anymore, but that doesn't change how I feel about it."

Letting out another heavy sigh, he spoke again.

"Do you remember when I told you about... my accident?"

"Yes, you said you didn't feel comfortable discussing it when I asked last. I won't make you."

"But... I feel I should tell you."

"Why?"

"I don't know... you just feel... easy to talk to. I'm calmer around you."

"O-Oh." Mistfur stuttered, looking away from him this time.

"Did I tell you about my name, my real name... as a kit and as an apprentice?"

She shook her head.

"Well, I guess it'll be a long story, then."

"I have all the time in the world, Whitefur. Unless Hopestar gets curious."

"Fair enough," he chuckled. "I guess I can talk, then. I was born as Kestrelkit. Apprenticed as Kestrelpaw. Radiant brown fur. I looked almost exactly like my father, Chestnutstar."

"Did you have any funny spots?" Mistfur asked jokingly. To her relief, Whitefur chuckled.

"Oh, I had a couple on my chest. I definitely enjoyed those. But I did not enjoy whenever my sisters would play 'let's count the spots on Kestrelkit's chest'. If Hopestar ever gives you a hard time, remind her she did that. She'll go easier on you, believe me."

Mistfur only purred, amused. "Good to know," she chuckled.

Whitefur's expression became dim once more.

"But... I didn't always have many luxuries, being the leader's only son. He held me to high standards, same with Hopestar and Silverleaf. Our mother, Frostflower, would encourage him. But I realized too late they did this out of love. Look at Hopestar now, our leader. And look at me... look at... me." His voice cut off.