Chapter 6

"Heeey. Mistpaw."

"What is it this time, Icepaw- oh!" She was shocked to see Mothpaw crouching over her.

"Hey."

"I'm sorry, I thought you were..."

"My sister? No worries."

As Mistpaw glanced around, she noticed they were the only ones in the den.

"Oh, no. Did we oversleep?"

"No. Our mentors are actually giving us a day off."

"What? I thought you had to practice for your warrior assessment, and I had a lot to learn today, according to Whitefur!"

"Hopestar specifically requested to pardon you from training for a day to relax you after your wild chase yesterday, especially since the clan is now thinking of you as its savior, or whatever."

"What about you?"

"Well... I sort of... sprained my paw a bit while training this morning. I had to head back early."

She then showed her paw, now resting in a small leaf and cobweb wrap.

"And, I got to talk to Spiderfoot while I was getting this treated. I took your advice, and listened him out. He actually feels bad for not making time for Icepaw and me. We're going to share some prey tomorrow afternoon, after we train."

"That's wonderful! I'm so proud of you, Mothpaw."

"Ah, it's really nothing." She replied bashfully. She then looked away again. "I only did it because you helped..." she mumbled.

Mistpaw had been scratching her ear too much to hear.

"What was that?"

"Nothing. Nothing at all. I was just thinking out loud. Anyway... Mistpaw..."

"Yeah?"

"Would you like to go on a walk with me? It'll just be to the outside of the territory. We won't be far from camp."

"You want to walk with me? But what about your paw?"

"It's fine. Besides, I thought you could use some fresh air. I'm already getting tired of standing here."

"Okay, then let's go. I won't be fast."

"If you insist..."

The two then departed. Mistpaw had received some positive looks along the way out, before the two got outside, laying in a small patch of sunlight.

"So, how's Whitefur?"

"He's a lot of fun to talk to."

"Well, I mean, how's he training you?"

"Oh... he usually takes it slow and easy... to a pace where I understand. He even cracks jokes along the way on the occasion. It makes it fun to learn."

"Is that so..." Mothpaw sighed. "...I just get yelled at by Applenose a lot."

"What is up with her?"

"I don't even know most of the time," she admitted sadly. "It seemed like she blamed me for injuring my own paw. Even though there was a rock in the path! I just... I just can't even..." she sighed.

"Don't beat yourself up over it, don't ever do that, Mothpaw."

She then sighed.

"How long are we going to be apprentices together?" She asked Mistpaw gently.

"Maybe only a few days more at this rate..."

"I just... maybe I wish it could be a bit longer. You're quite nice to talk to."