Chapter 3

"Mistkit! Wake up! You have to look outside!" A muffled male voice called in her ear as she was waking up.

With a yawn she mumbled,

"What's going on? Where's Dovepelt?"

"Look!"

As she padded out, she heard Hopestar's loud voice over the clearing.

"...that is why I have decided that we must now expedite the training of our current apprentices. And furthermore, I believe that Dovepelt's kits are to be apprenticed before they are six moons old, as long as they are still willing to learn. On the night they are four moons old, I will declare them apprentices."

"Did you hear that? We'll be four moons old in a few days!"

"Yeah... we'll be... apprentices..." Mistkit mumbled in shock.

"But Hopestar," a voice broke the kits' thoughts. "Aren't they too young to train?"

"Yes, but regardless, as I said, they are all very willing to learn as they are young, and with Greenleaf beginning not too long from now, it makes for a perfect training environment."

"Wouldn't they have a hard time training?"

"Enough, Crowpool. It is Hopestar's decision, and she is our leader. And the warrior code says that the word of the clan leader is the warrior code. If she wishes to do this because of our warrior shortage, then we have no right to stop her. Sure, her decision may be against one of the most pivotal rules in our code, but it's what she has decided." Harefur called.

"Hopestar must be extremely important to the clan if every cat is willing to break the code for her..." Ivykit muttered.

"No kidding, she's our leader!" Sedgekit replied quietly.

"And, I have one last thing to announce..." she called.

"I believe that it is for the best that Spiderfoot returns to his previous position as a medicine cat, alongside Wetnose."

The cats broke out into a confused mutter.

"Hopestar, I couldn't. You know why. I broke the code."

She turned away.

"I know you did, and I've felt wrong since you left the position on your own accord. However, it's become clear to me that Wetnose is clearly suffering without you. Her paws are full constantly, and I think she would appreciate if you rejoined her."

"B-But, Hopestar, I can't do this!"

"Spiderfoot..." Wetnose replied. "...don't you trust Hopestar? She knows what's best. Besides, I really need your help! I feel like I'm mixing up herbs left and right. I can't do this without you."

Spiderfoot's gaze returned to the leader.

"I never stopped trusting her, nor did I stop loving her. It's just wrong for me to return to this position..."

"Hopestar's not saying it's wrong now! She understands that I need you. Please, take me as your apprentice again."

"You don't have to be my apprentice..." he muttered, before turning back confidently at Hopestar. "...because we will be the first clan in this forest to have two medicine cats at once!"

Hopestar gave a purr in response.

"Very well. Spiderfoot and Wetnose, you will both work together and rebuild MistClan. I would like you both and Harefur to meet me in my den after the meeting is adjourned."

"Yes, Hopestar."

"Very well. This meeting is now at its end."

The kits ran back into the nursery.