Chapter 4

"Hey. Mistpaw. Mistpaaaaaw." A small voice came from above the young gray and white she-cat as she was just waking up.

"Ugh, Icepaw? What is it?"

"We don't want to be late for training. Come on, I want to show you how it works!"

"Okay! Where's Mothpaw and the others?"

"I dunno. Already awake. I thought I'd stay here and try to get you up, but you were out cold for the night!"

"Oh, no, not again!"

"Hee-hee! 'Again'?"

"Yeah... I'd always sleep in later than usual as a kit... I just enjoyed sleeping, I suppose."

"Ah, I get it. When Greenleaf comes around, the mist usually clears up past sunfall, leaving the clearing so nice as the sun warms up the grass so much you just want to lay back..." her daydreaming purrs amused Mistpaw greatly.

"I guess you can show me one day."

"Sure! Oh. Look. Our mentors are congregating outside. We should go meet them. It's impolite not to greet them."

"So, Icepaw, who's your mentor?"

"Oh yeah, her name is Graynose! She's very kind. A bit energetic too. I like to think I'm more energetic than her, though."

"Oh, I bet."

"Mothpaw's mentor is Applenose! And get this... she's the deputy's mate!"

"She's Harefur's- what?!"

"I know! I had a hard time believing it myself. But, once you see how she's like... which is, I'd say, a bit harsh... and fierce... and strict... but still so wise... you'd see why Harefur treasures her deeply. So adorable!"

"Gee, Icepaw... I didn't realize you were... interested in this stuff."

"So, any cute toms in camp?" She teased.

"No way!"

"I'm only joking. I know you're still a kit. You probably wouldn't know this stuff."

"No, I see how much my father cares for my mother. And how much Tigerheart cares for Heatherfur. I think I understand it well enough. I may be young, but not young enough to understand how close the cats of this clan are to one another... it's like an inseparable bond..."

"Wow... you sure say big words for a young kit!"

"So I've been told..."

The two padded out into the clearing once more.

"Ah, feel that morning dew. It's so refreshing before training! Really eases my aching paws before another day's work!" Icepaw purred.

"So, how does this work?"

"Oh! Right. Sorry. I must've gotten distracted again. All the mentors of apprentices in camp all join together in the center of camp to have a private discussion for a while, until they call us over. Then we all sit together and talk about how our day will go! Training wise, mostly."

"Huh. So they all talk together in a nice group? That seems so..."

"Wonderful? Yeah. I would agree if that's what you'd say. I always underestimate the bond MistClan cats have with their clanmates."

"Apprentices!" A red and orange spotted she-cat called. "Gather here!"

"Oh, I guess it's time to start."

The five now sat by the warriors training them silently.

"Thank you for being punctual in attending."