Chapter 16

The thirteen cats were now in a more isolated area near the border, with grass that grew shorter.

"Well... this is certainly an awkward situation. I'm sorry, Spiderfoot. I guess I should've mentioned first that the three of them are patrolling with me."

"It's fine, just... wow, the three of you are so big and strong now. I say it every time... but I'm always glad to see how you've thrived."

"Save it," the tan tom growled. "What are you here for?"

"We just need your segment of the stone so we can declare a new apprentice." Wetnose meowed. "We promise we mean no harm."

"Then why is Adderstar here?" The white she-cat nearly hissed.

"I am simply trying to stay healthy by walking more. I am not in any mood for fighting, so I will not do so."

The tan tom's claws unsheathed as she approached.

"Birchfeather, Springleap. That's enough. Go back to camp." Reedclaw ordered, and the two turned back, only sneering at Spiderfoot.

Wow, Mistfur thought. He wasn't wrong.

"I'm very sorry about them, Spiderfoot. But, it's understandable how they feel."

"I agree with you," he replied. "I... never wanted to give them up."

He turned to the white tom, who only scoffed a bit before shyly turning away.

"Cloudwhisker..." Spiderfoot began. "How's Leafflight? Is training under her fun?"
"...yeah, sure." His voice was hesitant through his mouthful of herbs.

Spiderfoot sighed, before Mistfur stepped forward.

"Um, Cloudwhisker, I just heard? Is it okay that we borrow the stone?" She asked, trying to reason with her, she guessed her nephew at this point. But he was only silent.

"I'm... Whitefur's mate. Do you remember him at all?"

He turned up slightly, a bit shocked.

"That means we're... family?" He asked, a bit meekly.

"I know you don't want anything to do with your real parents. But... I just want to know if you'll at least help us this one time... will you?"

He hesitated again before nodding.

"...okay. Let me talk to Leafflight."

He then slowly turned back and walked into camp, while Reedclaw stayed put.

"Amazing," she remarked. "I thought that wouldn't work."

'She's very persuasive," Spiderfoot agreed.

"Hello, Reedclaw... I'm Mistfur. I'm the warrior escort. I heard about you from Spiderfoot."

"Yes, I remember- he mentioned a kit named after your clan. Wow, how the time flies by. You're grown now! How long ago did we have that conversation, Spiderfoot?"

"Oh, it almost feels like yesterday..."

Everyone grew silent when another orange cat arrived, carrying the stone, along with Cloudwhisker behind her.

"Oh, Leafflight," Reedclaw called. "Good to see you out and about."

"...yes, I simply must be a part of this... I know it's often hard for me to leave camp, but I always try whenever I hear of a new apprentice. Now, am I allowed to say hello?"

"Yes, of course." Wetnose replied, pushing Pinepaw along, and letting Mistfur watch as he gave her a respectful bow.

"Hello... I'm Pinepaw."