Ch.49 To Save Or Not To Save

Start from the beginning

"...Not at all... That's more than enough, really."

"Ganju's right, Hanataro."

He looks my way.

"Besides, you help heal everyone's injuries while we were sleeping... You even help save my brother. I thank you for that."

"...I-It was nothing, really-"

"You should view yourself from a better light. You call yourself useless, however... I don't see that at all."

"The girl's right."

Hanataro shows a small smile. Facing the door, he opens it as Ganju peers inside.

"Anyway, everyone is trying hard to recuse this Rukia girl. She must be a real out-of-this-world-cutie, huh?"

"Well, it not like that." Hanataro tries to explain, but Ganju cuts him off.

"Don't be shy~! Oh, Rukia~, come on out..."

Ganju stops as he spots a person standing inside. Standing in the middle of the large room was Rukia, in white robes.

 Standing in the middle of the large room was Rukia, in white robes

She looks at Ganju confused.

"Are you...Ichigo's friend?"

"It's me, Miss Rukia!" Hanataro happily pushes pass Ganju. "I'm so glad you're okay!"

"Hanataro?! Why are you-"

"Now's not the time for idle chit chat."

Rukia looks my way as her eyes widen. I simply make my way up to her.

"Emiko?! You're here too?"

"Of course. Did you really think Ichigo could save you on his own with that brain of his?"

"...Good point."

"Anyway, we should hurry." Hanataro reminds us. "Come on- Ganju...?"

He just stood there, staring Rukia down. Rukia realizes something once she spots the symbol on Ganju's pants.

"You're...a member of the Shiba Clan?"

Hanataro looked back and forth between the two.

"Huh? Do...you two know each other?"

"Yeah..." Ganju replies. "I'll never forget that face. She's the soul reaper...who killed my brother."

"Wha... What are you talking about, Ganju? Miss Rukia would never kill someone."

"My older brother was covered with sword wounds... He was cut in the neck and stabbed in the chest... If he was fighting a Hollow, how could he have died by a sword?! Plus, she emitted it herself!!"

"...But-"

I hold my arm out in front of Hanataro, silencing him. Looking at him from the corner of my eye, I shake my head.

Losing a family member is hard. It hurts so much. There's no point in trying to reason with Ganju right now. Right now, the only thing we can do is watch this scene unfold right in front of us.

"Miss Emiko..."

"It's okay, Hanataro." Rukia speaks in a calm voice. "He's telling the truth."

"Miss Rukia?"

"The eldest member of the Shiba Clan...your brother... Kaien Shiba died by my hands."

Without hesitation, Ganju lunges at Rukia. He grabs her robes, bringing her closer to his face.

 He grabs her robes, bringing her closer to his face

Rukia remains calm and a bit cold as she speaks.

"Kill me. If it's by you...I will have no regrets in losing my life."

Passing me, Hanataro grabs Ganju's arm while begging.

"P-Please don't! That's not the reason we came here! Aren't we here to rescue her?!"

I place my hand on my head. The pain is back. And it's bigger than before.

Dammit, now's not the time for this! ...It has to be the Soul Society. It's affecting me. I've been getting headaches ever since I've arrive here.

I fall to my knees, clutches my head in both of my hands. This action caught everyone's attention.

"Miss Emiko?"

"I'm...fine..."

"No, you're-..."

Everyone freezes.

They all suddenly turn pale as they look through the doorway

They all suddenly turn pale as they look through the doorway. I follow their worried gazes to see the problem. Walking on the bridge, heading our way was a captain...but not just any captain.

"Byakuya Kuchiki..."

Flashes of him and Ichigo come to mind.

I clutch my fists out of anger.