Part Twenty Nine: Weakness

"How long have you been here?"

It's as if Durst's words enter my attention at the same moment as my consciousness returns to me. I'm expecting to be in my bed. I was expecting to wake up to Kaylee shaking me awake and trying to cheer me up. Maybe someone trying to get me up for training.

When I realize where I'm at I shuffle quickly back from the edge of the cliff as my heart begins to leap in my chest and the sound of the ocean roars in my ear.

"Hey- hey- you okay?" Durst exclaims as he throws something to the ground. I look back to see him pulling a small rolled blanket off of his backpack. He throws it over me as he crouches besides me.

My mind is so jumbled that I back away from him too, pulling the blanket over my body as I realize my body is completely naked, and it's foggy and cold all around me. He stands up and backs away from me without hesitation, when I'm half expecting him to
embrace me. Instead he's having a hard time looking at me. I look out over the ocean, my head clearing up a bit, and realize it's almost sun down.

"How... how did I get here?" I ask as I look at him again. My question causes his face to turn down and he looks at me with the narrowed eyed look he only gives me when he's concerned.

"Take a guess wildflower- you're out here as naked as the lord made you, and you're all cut up from running-"

"Durst I don't remember anything after going to my room to sleep. I was in bed, Kaylee was there..."

He nods and watches his foot as he kicks the grass beneath him.

"Yeah, and that's where she left you- about five this morning- went to help with breakfast and talk to the Alpha. You were gone when she got back to wake you to eat. Lavender you changed during the day- you don't remember anything... I'm worried about you... the last time this was happening to Danny-"

"That's not happening to me." I say firmly. A flood of emotions overtakes me and my body begins to shake as I remember the events of last night. Guilt washes over me, shame, and now this- I didn't want to feel any of it anymore. I stand up and start to walk away, back towards the houses.

"So that's it- you're just going to head back- we're not going to talk about any of this, or figure any of it out?" He calls after me, and begins to walk behind me. I don't know how to tell him that I rather not talk- even though I should, even though I should be the one trying to mend things, not him.

"It's almost time to scout. The Alpha will expect us- does he know?"

"No- no, Kaylee knows you're missing, but I told her I'd go out looking for you. I sensed you had changed, and I didn't want to alarm anyone. I figured you wouldn't want anyone to know. I found your clothes and it confirmed what I thought. I picked them up. No one knows."

"Good-"

"I feel like I need to tell Danny- Lavender, he's my Alpha, my loyalty is to him-"

"Your loyalty is to your mate." I growl I can't control myself from stopping, and shooting daggers with my eyes back at him. He stops a good five feet away from me. Despite his large stature he seems genuinely afraid when I do this, and it makes the guilt in me so bad that I want to run away again. I feel horrible, but it's like my emotions are just bouncing around inside of me.

"You're right, I won't say anything," he nods and looks away. "Lavender... I just want what's best for you. I'm worried about you. Last night-"

"Please Durst- don't." I start to walk away again and he continues to follow.

"We have to talk about this-"

"No we don't-"

"Yes we do." He says this firmly and suddenly he's in front of me.