Part Twelve: You Look Like

"Get out Beckett." I groaned as I looked up at him through the mirror. He ignored me, walking up behind me. "You know I'm technically grounded until the party starts." I warned, but he shrugged, looking over at Kaylee.

"Everyone's so busy setting up the party, they won't notice I'm here." He said, shrugging again before he leans on the wall. "Besides, it's your birthday." He added, looking over at Kaylee again. "And she's here, why can't I be?"

"She's my friend-"

"Ouch-"

"Well, she's my friend who's allowed to be here." I correct myself.

"Fine, I guess I'll take this and go look for Shawn- or Amber- or something." He sighed, as I watched him pull a flask from his jacket pocket.

"Don't be like that Beck." Kaylee whined.

"No, go ahead. I don't want any." I said, walking past him to grab a bag of makeup from my dresser top. He looks at me like I'm trying to pull something.

"Yeah, right-"

"I'm serious Beckett, I've been in enough trouble lately." I said, trying to be firm with him. If it's one thing I know about Beck, it's that he's just as stubborn as I am- if not, more so.

"Come on Snow, I'm just trying to celebrate with you..."

I sighed. Honestly I just wanted him to leave me alone for the night. I didn't want to be thinking about him, or worrying about him- or the others- being drunk or stupid. I know him hanging out with me would just be the first round for him, and by the end of the night he'd be wasted. I knew why though, and I couldn't blame him. He was my friend, and I didn't want to make him feel rejected. Soon after tonight everyone will know I'm married, I will be a delta, and that distance between me and my friends will be even greater. I never had friends like them before, it was always just me and my sisters, then I would have friends my age and outgrow them in months. When this litter started training they wanted to take me, and as soon as I could start training with them they let me join. Now it seems, even though everything is just now happening so quickly, I'm already different than them. I don't want to lose them.

"Alright, a few drinks then you have to leave." I said, rolling my eyes as he cheered.

*************************************************

"You look so beautiful!" Kaylee exclaimed as I stepped out of my closet in my dress.

"Yeah- Holy shit- you look hot as hell, Snow." Beckett said, slack jaw expression on his face.

"Shut up Beck-"

"I'm serious as fuck. If Delta Airlines doesn't take you aboard I will gladly accept you as a passenger on the S.S. Beckett-"

"Ewe- Beckett- don't say that." I warned, faking a gag, as I pushed past him to look in the full length mirror behind him. I looked at my appearance, barely recognizing myself. I was a woman. I felt it now more than ever. So much so my own reflection almost scared me. The chain around my neck almost burned behind the mask of my dress. I wanted so badly to put my ring on, to walk out there with my head held high- as Mrs. Callahan. A quick look at my two friends stopped that. I was supposed to be one of them still. I don't want the harsh judgment of others. I don't want Danny to freak out. I'm supposed to be listening to his rules, but here I am, having drank a few shots. Beckett in my room.

"I guess I look okay. Now get out of here Beckett, before I get caught-"

"Already?" He groaned.

"Yes, the party is going to start soon-"

"Kaylee still needs to change- I'd hate to miss that-"

"Beckett- really?!" I laughed, trying to nudge him- not so lightly- out the door.