Part Forty Six: Mirror

My warm skin grows hot and I try to control myself. Durst squeezes my hand. "What's he doing here?" I had recognized the man instantly. It was the jumper. He was hooked up to an IV, but also chained to the bed. I recognized some of the medicine on the counter beside his bed, it was a sedative. I'm not sure how long it would last in a man that size, especially considering he was a wolf like us. He did look worse for wear, though. Daniel had shot him in the shoulder. There was quite a bit of buckshot across his chest, a bit of the spray even reached as high as his neck, and his clothes were a bloody mess beside the bed in a medical bowl. Frea hadn't begun work on him other than the IV and taking his clothes off. He was covered with a blanket, but on his exposed skin you could visually see how chilled he was as he was all goose skin.

"What is he doing here?" I ask as I grab onto Durst's arm for protection- despite my mind telling me not to- my instincts tell me to.

"Is he the rogue you've seen?"

"Yes." I nod and look at Daniel, who's asked. "Why have you brought him here? Where did you find him- why did you-"

"I wasn't going to kill someone who's already lying practically dead in the road Lavender... Besides... I recognize him." Daniel crosses his arms as he stares at the man. It's like his eyes are glued to him, unable to look away, his mind trying to put something together that it just can't. "I didn't recognize him when I shot him, it wasn't until later that morning that the memory came back to me. You all know my memory has been shit since my coma..." Daniel begins. He looks at Cora with his worried eyes, and she nods for him to continue. Of course they've already discussed things within their minds, shared some back and forth. "I have a new memory of being in the river. After I shot him I started getting flashes of memory. The day I wash shot, the sky, water, being under the tow. Then I remember someone grabbing me and bringing me ashore. More like tossing me. It was him." He nods to the man in the bed.

"He seemed familiar to me." I tell Daniel, and I notice the hair on Durst's arm stand up straight, the veins in his neck flex as his jaw tightens. He must be worried, like I am, that he was among the rogues who were my captors. "Who is he?" I ask, but no one answers for quite some time.

"We don't know, but we can't kill him now, not like this. Not after knowing he saved your brother. We'll let him heal, send him away, and if he returns that will be his choice." Cora says.

"We can't let him stay under this roof. Not with my child here, and Frea-" Owen begins, but Cora stops him.

"Brother I understand your concern, we'll keep watch. He's healing quickly, and we'll find out his intentions before he's healed enough to do anything. He technically never harmed any of us. He just got too close." Cora tells him, but I'm tuning them out mostly as I stare at the man. He makes my stomach turn.

"Well he's giant, strong- the dude can survive cliff diving like it's nothing-"

"He won't be able to stop us all, especially unchanged-"

"He can change any time he wants with no care in the world-"

I'm looking at the man, staring, trying desperately to figure him out. When I look at Danny he's doing the same. That's when it hits me.

I feel dizzy suddenly and grab onto Durst's arm harder as the room pitches this way and that. I can still hear Cora and Owen argue, but their voices fade. I feel Durst lift me, and Daniel is following us out of the room as he asks what's wrong.

"Look in the mirror Danny." Is all I say, and then I feel so woozy I pass out.

"She's just been over exhausted lately. Pushed too far emotionally- physically- in every way." Durst's worried voice wakes me. I blink and see him standing in the crack of his open bedroom door.

"I'm worried about her-"

"You need to stay away from her Beckett. I've told you more than once now- stop sniffing around my wife. Kissing her without her consent. I should-"

"Look- I know! She's still important to me Durst. She always will be-"

"Important to you, or not, you can't miss my wife. My wolf is telling me to tear you apart-"

"I won't cross that boundary again. You have my word!" Beckett says this quickly, realizing how much danger he's truly in.

"Look Beckett, I'm not trying to be a monster here, but my instincts can only be controlled so much. I've been pretty damned lenient." Durst says with finality.

"I understand. I don't want to risk my place in the pack or my life. I have too much at stake now... I found my mate, and Lavender knows it. I told her and we're good now."

"Really?" Durst sounds taken by surprised with Beckett's revelation. "Congratulations- sincerely, I'm happy for you." His tone has changed to joy and pride for his younger pack mate in a flash. "Plus now you'll leave mine alone." He jokes, which seemed an impossibility between them, literally five seconds ago.

I'm in too deep now to pretend to wake up and say their quiet voices had done it. I just lay there with my eyes closed. I know it's eves dropping, but it's not something I'm against. Plus? Maybe I'll get some answers.

"Trust me, Lavender will end me herself if I try to kiss her again. She loves you. In ways she never could love me. I get that now."

Come on just say who it is, how it happened.

"I understand what it all means. What she meant all those times she stopped me... I really did just want to check on her. Some of the others asked me to let them know."

"Well she's awake now, so you can tell them she's okay." Durst says, my eyes shoot open to see Beckett looking over Durst's shoulder. Damn.

"You sneak-"

"I wasn't being sneaky, I'm tired." I say as I throw a pillow at his face. Durst grabs it before it hits Beckett, and tosses it back on the bed. "What happened?" I yawn as I sit up. My body becomes practically paralyzed. I remember what happened. "I need to talk to Daniel!" I shoot up out of bed and throw my sweater back on. "I need to tell him-"

"He already knows. He figured it out." Durst says, he looks at Beckett and nods him away. "Go ahead Beckett, go tell the others she'll be okay, we'll be out for food when it's ready."

I stand there in shock, trying to figure out my next move.

"Yes Sir. Sir- before I go... can I talk to you. I know there's a lot going on, but I have some things I want to clear up with you." Beckett looks back at me with a saddened face, but then immediately back to Durst, who seems vastly uncomfortable, but also sincerely concerned for Beckett.

"Sure, I'll find some time and get back to you. Let me talk to Lavender and we'll see you out there." Durst turns to me after they nod at each other, and he closes the door behind himself. I want to push past him, but I'm stopped by his gaze. His comforting eyes, the concerned tilt of his lips, the promise his chest gives of comfort as he sticks his thumbs in his pockets. I shake it off as best as I can, though.

"Durst-"

"Now I'm only going to suggest once that you rest a little longer, have some food, and then go through what you need to. I want you to take care of yourself Wildflower- but I know you're just going to push me out of your way and keep going. Danny is up there- probably waiting for you."

I nod, and he sighs, a look of defeat crossing his features.

"I need to see my father."