Part Twenty Two: One Down, Two to Go

I look down at Lavender , and I can tell she's frightened. I can tell she wants to stop me, if only to save the trouble. I couldn't blame her, the very first time I mentioned she was my mate he nearly knocked my lights out across this very table. I wasn't going to back down though, I needed to start living the life I wanted to. I had always let him dictate my life, ever since he became Alpha, but this was a time- hopefully the last time- I would have to defy him. He was right about one thing, we had accepted him as our Alpha for his understanding; even if it took years for him to come around, he would. He and Cora were my friends, and I had to trust in that. That eventually they would accept me as a closer part of their family than they already do. That they would accept me as Lavenders husband.

"Sir, I need to confess to something," I say firmly. I can feel the eyes of the others on me as I begin to speak. His face turns red with frustration, but he simply nods for me to continue. "If you'd like we can step out-"

"No, if you need to say something we should probably all know," he says, as Cora looks at me nervously while squeezing his hand.

"Sir I insist-"

"No I insist, Durst-"

Cora realizes that I'm trying to ask for some privacy, that this might upset him, so she speaks up.

"Danny-"

"Cora. Please. I want him to speak now, since he couldn't wait," Daniel says firmly to her. This deeply offends me, because I hate when he's too firm with her; Cora is our Luna, and if he'd listen to her more often I think we'd go further. I sigh, and take a moment to compose myself, before looking him square in the eyes. Can't say I didn't try god damn it.

"Lavender and I have been together since I took her away a few weeks ago." My words sound unfamiliar to me- even though I've practiced them a million times in my own mind. The room is absolutely silent besides the children at the other table. I can feel Lavender's tenseness besides me. For a long moment nothing happens, and I'm not sure what to do from here. The truth is out now, though, and that was relieving in its own way.

"What makes you think that's okay?" He asks, and I can tell he has anger in his voice and in his heart, but Lavender is the only thing in mine right now. She is the only thing that matters to me. "When did this start back up?"

"We never stopped being together, Sir," Lavender says, her voice shaky. "We made up the fight so we could hide it. You wouldn't have understood- you didn't understand, you were keeping us apart-" I stop her by putting my hand on her shoulder firmly, but in an attempt to comfort. She looks up at me with fear in her eyes that I have yet to grow accustomed to, I see now that I should have discussed this with her first, but if I left it in her hands we may have never told him.

"You've been lying to me this whole time..."

"I'm sorry Daniel, I did what I thought was best in the moment- and we've been trying to find a way to fix things for some time. It just never felt like the right time to tell you," I begin, but I am quickly cut off.

"Earlier than now would have been better-"

"Owen!" Cora scolds her brother, and I give him a look to beg him to shut up.

"Owen's right- you should have known better Lavender." Hunter says, in a much calmer voice, but showing a deep disappointment.