Part Forty Five: Lost Like Me

"God I'm so glad you're okay!" I'm thrown off by Beckett as he hugs me and says this to me, but then I remember everything that transpired, and the debriefing he just had with the others. I was even more surprised that Durst had brought me to him. Durst has something to do in town, and wanted to get it done before hunkering down until this rogue thing passed. He agreed to get some supplies for the houses as well, and would be taking Leon and Hunter with him. Durst clears his throat and Beckett let's go of me instantly and takes a step back. "I'm just glad she's okay- you're okay- sorry. Shit."

"Don't worry, I'm not." Durst says with a chuckle. "Just watch out for her. Owen and the others are around, I just know you're the only one who'll look out for her as much as I would. You'd put her safety first if something goes down."

"Yes Sir. I would." Beckett nods.

"I'll be back in two hours, tops." Durst kisses my forehead. "Text me anything you want, I'll grab it. We aren't leaving again until this is finished." I nod and kiss his cheek, and he leaves with urgency. I can feel it too, the need to be together, because of the fear of what might come.

"You know I'm probably going to have to protect you," I joke. Beckett rolls his eyes as he shrugs past me, leading the way from his room.

"Probably, but I wouldn't let you. Let's go find Kaylee."

"Okay... hey Beckett?"

"Hmm?"

"Thanks for reminding me to run." I say, I want to say more, but we've already found Kaylee, she's in our room down the hall. She looks tense and nervous, but happy to see us.

"Holy shit, please never ever go through that much in such a short period of time again. It's too much. You drive me up the wall with this shit!" Kaylee is hugging me as she freaks out, and I laugh, because it's just ridiculous and yet ridiculously nice to be cared for by her. She brings me into her bed, and Beckett throws himself onto mine. I give him a look, but he just shrugs.

"What- you're hardly using it." He says with a shrug. We spend some time playing on our phones, and talking shit, but there's an obvious undertone of worry from all of us. We don't smoke, or drink, or gossip about anyone in our old friend group. I know I haven't bothered at all to stay in contact with them, and I'm not sure either of them have.

"You think Hunt will be okay?" Kaylee asks after seemingly trying not to bring it up the whole time. She looks close to tears with worry as she fiddles with the tear in her jeans.

"Safer in town with Durst than here, at least." I say with a shrug. This doesn't settle with Kaylee, as she looks more afraid suddenly. "It's going to be okay Kaylee-"

"Lavender I don't want to fight." She says quietly.

"Oh." I nod and take a deep breath. I wasn't expecting that, I thought she was just worried for Hunt. I know now that I have to put on my Beta boots and give her kind words that will make her feel strong and able. I just don't know if I know what to say. "Hunter won't let anything happen to you, and Durst, Alpha, and I won't let it go that far."

"What if it's like... like when they found you. What if it's an all out rogue war? We'll all have to fight. I don't know if I'm ready." She admits. I look at Beckett and he too looks nervous, but it seems to be more so for Kaylee than himself.

"From what Durst says I don't think it's all that," Beckett tells her.

"Right. We're pretty sure it's just the one. We can take one rogue." I assure her. She nods, but I can tell she's still unsure and uneasy. I can't leave her feeling like this. I look at her and she looks back at me. "Kaylee, no matter what happens we will always protect each other. You're going to go out there tonight and protect the children, and yourself, or you will fight until there's no fight left. You are part of this pack for a reason. The gods made it so, the ancestors put you here. So you will give it your all, and you don't need to fear jackshit. You hear me?"