Part Nineteen: Proving a Point

I feel my heart racing as he gets closer. I wasn't sure if this was a mistake, or if Danny wanted to see if we could still work together despite our "fighting", but it was already too much for me to handle. It was bizarre seeing him in the light of day and being so close. I didn't know how to act- I didn't know what to do with myself. When I changed there was the excuse that I had just changed, when Danny found us there was the excuse that we just wanted to see what it was like being together, now there was nothing to explain any awkwardness or draw to each other. How was I supposed to function around him when I just wanted to run into his arms? I will probably see him tonight, but the closer he gets to me the further away that seems.

"We're gonna be Focusing on formation today everyone, so get in linear order!" Danny shouts as he reaches us all. I could sigh out loud in relief. If we're in that formation that puts me exactly opposite of Durst and not next to him, which is relieving. I could be further away, but still. Owen took center left and I took the one next to him, Frea on the opposite side of him and then Durst. Normally Danny and Cora would be center, but he and Coralie were going to be giving orders. I take my position and keep my head down, waiting for instruction. "Across the field, as fast you can on 3...2...1... Go!"

Without even a warm up Daniel gets us started on sled runs. It's something I still haven't gotten the hang of. I love running, I feel strong, but going at the same pace as everyone else, and keeping up, when they've done this countless times- it's not exactly easy. We follow through, though, without much of a hitch- Daniel pushing us forward with his demands to keep going, and everyone breaking a sweat almost immediately. I keep my eyes down as much as I can, and away from Durst, because watching him right now could very well drive me crazy. We're told to lift the sled and reset it, and we do, but before Danny gives the orders to go again he speaks again.

"Our pack needs all of us equally to run smoothly. When we're off balance we need to overcompensate- look at Hunter for example. On the opposite end of him is an open spot, to which he balances by working twice as hard as any of the rest of you. When one of us is in need the rest of us need to work as a team to help one another. Leon, stand out this one."

"Sir, that will make us more uneven-"

"Leon, take a seat." Danny orders, ignoring Leon's protest. Leon is standing to the left of me, and when he is told to leave he begrudgingly goes to stand next to Coralie who is keeping watch from the sidelines. Now the side I'm on and two spots open next to me, and then Sam; now it's just Me, him, and then Owen on the left side of the sled. On the other side there are still five. "Now go again!"

We begin pushing the sled, and it's obvious right away that the other side is going faster and harder than the three of us remaining on our side can. I'm drenching in sweat now, and trying my damndest to keep up. That's when I start hearing his voice and my heart starts racing even faster.

"Ease up, stay balanced!" Durst yells. Durst has been known as the voice of the pack- when Daniel needs a message to reach all ears he tells it to Durst first, when Daniel isn't speaking up he says something and the others listen. As he shots at the others to push less, or to push harder the sled evens out, but starts moving much slower, and suddenly it feels a million times heavier. I heave the sled as far as I can, digging my shoulder into the pad and using my legs to propel me forward. With Durst's orders we make it back to the other side and get the sled turned around, but Sam and I are clearly worn down by this exercise and Owen is showing his wear despite trying to hide it.

"Leon?" Danny calls for him and he runs up, and heads towards his spot, but Danny stops him. "Wait, I just wanted to ask you something."

I'm instantly frustrated, because the more time I spend around Leon, the more I realize I need him. He's the one between me and the outside of the line, the defense between me and whatever might come our way if we're in this formation. Without him the sled became much heavier and harder to push.