Part Four: One More God Damn Time

I remember the first time I saw him.

Sometimes it's so blurry I can't even remember his face. Having your emotions and brain growing rapidly can make you forget things from early childhood often...

But sometimes the memory is so vivid I can smell him- like I was still in his arms.

I was so terrified of being caught, being beaten, losing all hope of reuniting with the family I wasn't even certain was mine yet...

And then there he was. I didn't register anything else. I remember that perfectly. I remember disregarding my sisters, Cora, the man who pried open those cellar doors (who I now know is Brian), and everything else.

I simply cried from the wave of relief and ran to his arms.

Right now, unlike some days, I see his face like a movie, like he is right in front of me.

The bright rays of sunset made him glow, like a halo was placed around him. As a child I almost thought I had died and he was an angel sent to retrieve me. Now I don't even know if I'd make it into heaven- but in that moment, I believed it with all of my heart, because of him.

I ran to him and without hesitating he picked me up, pulled me close to his chest, and rocked me, before running me to the truck. All I remember from that ride besides the sounds of people screaming at Cora to stay alive is the smell of him. I refused to leave his arms, and as I curled up against him and felt his brassy curls against my face, all I could do was cry and take in the wonderful smell of him.

Forest. Fire smoke. Worn leather. Faint gasoline. Fresh clothes.

It was such an odd mixture, but I loved it instantly, instantly I knew I'd never forget the notes that played so wonderfully across my senses, like music. Like a song that can bring you home with just a quick snippet of its melody.

I remember waking up in a panic, in a house I had never been in, smelling like him still.

I remember rushing to leave the room, in fear that I wasn't safe, and bumping him as I tried to open the door. He was sound asleep as he sat by the door, his arms crossed like he had been watching over us, and I knew then for sure. I knew what he meant to me. My mind yelled happily at the sight of my mate, my true mate, it was the first time I had heard my wolf howl inside of me. In that moment I knew I was his- always.

"What's up?" Kaylee asked with a giggle as I came back to reality.

"Oh nothing." I lied as I took a drink of my... I don't even remember... my fourth beer...? A few shots and a few beers and I was definitely feeling it. "What's going on?" I asked as everyone stood up.

"It's time for the bonfire." Shawn shrugged. "Didn't you hear?" He chuckled as he held out his hand for me to grab and use to stand up. I took it and he tugged me up, steadying my shoulders as I swayed on my feet. I shook my head.

"Sorry I was zoning out." I admitted as I smiled up at him. He gently tapped my shoulder.

"Hey, no problem kid, it happens to me all the time. Let's go, I got a party to get to." He chuckled. I nodded and followed him and the five others out of our meeting spot.

After a quick walk back towards my house the music and drums greeted us, along with Shawn's cousin, Sam. "Hey! There he is! Man of the hour!" Sam cheered. We greeted him, and Sarah and her little followers took off into the chaos of the party that was leading to the back yard. "Hey, Danny is looking for you by the way." Sam said.

Great. I wreak of pot and Danny is looking for me.

"Yeah? I'll find him. I'm gonna go to my room and change." I said, grabbing Kaylee's hand, and heading away before Sam could remind me to make it fast.