*The Way He Sees It*

Jacob's POV

I have worked hard these past five years to get to where I am now. I kept in the dark and became stronger and more powerful.

Leaving Charlie five years ago at the airport was the hardest thing I could have ever fucking done but I had to do it.

At her funeral I got an anonymous message that said if I didn't make Charlie hate me then she would be killed before I could even blink. Attached to the message was a photo of a knife to Charlie's neck while she was asleep.

They said that if I were to tell anyone about it I would regret it and she would be killed and video taped then they'd make me watch. So I left. Austin joined me about two years ago after he decided he hated college.

I knew it was Cerberus. So I was mean to her. Every single thing I said to her killed me. I didn't mean it. Not a single thing.

That night I was going to start keeping tabs on her to know she was okay but she completely dropped off the grid. I even had Austin go back to her old house only to find out her brother had moved in.

He never said where she moved only that she moved in with their cousin. I tried finding her but no matter how hard I tried I always just came up with a dead end.

    I had spent these last five years tracing anything I could back to Cerberus to try and figure out who was behind it. Nothing I tried worked. I am still stuck at square one.

    "I can't believe our old shy little Charlie is a mafia leader." Austin said plopping down into one of the chairs in the room. You and I both Austin.

    Seeing Charlie at the ball tonight brought back so many memories of us in high school. We had been through so much yet I was such a coward for leaving her behind. I could have stayed and protected her but instead I ran. How fucking pathetic.

   She is no longer that shy girl we knew in high school. Her whole demeaner says that. Her confidence radiates off of her where ever she is. You could tell she worked hard to get where she is today. It honestly fits her.

   "Come on. We have to go back to the ball." Austin said nodding towards the door. We both stood up and made our way back to the main dancing hall. I sat down on the thrown they had sat out for me. My eyes instantly scanned the crowed for the feisty girl.

I had spotted her nearly instantly. She had her arms wrapped around a guys neck which made my blood instantly boil. It was the pathetic Australian gang leader. Derek or something, I don't give two shits about his name.

    She had a bright smile on her face as they danced. She laughed at something he had said and threw her head back, showing her true happiness.

    That should be me. Not him. She's mine.

    No she isn't. I fucked that up five years ago when I got onto that plane.

    Derek tightened his hold on her. Fuck it, she's still mine.

   I stood up quickly and made my way towards them. Once I was close enough I cleared my throat, gaining their attention.

    Dereks face instantly morphed into one of respect and gave me a quick bow. Charlie on the other hand gave me a bored expression.

   "May I have this dance?" I mumbled to her. She just raised her eyebrow.

    "She will have that dance. I'm going to go get a drink." Derek said leaning forward and pressed a kiss on Charlie's forehead. She nodded and watched as he walked away.

   I took his place and she wrapped her arms around my neck.

    "What's up with you and Derek?" I questioned. She looked confused at first but then she smirked.

    "Why? Are you jealous?" She questioned challenging. I pulled her closer to me until she was flush against me and leaned down to her ear.

   "Very." I said biting her ear softly. She left out huff before I pulled back and we continued dancing.

   "His name is Darren, not Derek." She mumbled with a small smile. I missed her smile. She pulled away from me before walking towards the drinks table. She picked up a glass and motioned for the tender to pour her wine.

   "I don't care." I said shrugging. She rolled her eyes. She downed her glass before motioning for the tender to refill it once again.

   "Can we be friends?" Charlie blurted out of no where. I leaned a little bit away from her and examined her. At least that small little thing didn't change about her.

  Though you could obviously tell the wine in her hand had been starting to get to her. Her cheeks were a bit flushed.

    "I don't think I can be just friends with you." I said honestly. She rolled her eyes and smiled at me.

   "Well I miss our friendship so it's either we become friends again or you never see me again when I go back to America." She said with a shrug before taking a sip of her wine. So she rambles when she drinks?

    I weighed my options to myself. A pro would be I could get close to her again. I could try and gain her trust back. Maybe bring back more crazy Charlie instead of this heartless one.

   Cons, I've become so close to figuring out who's behind Cerberus and if I start being spotted with her they could try and kill her again.

   I don't want to let her skip away from me again. I can't let that happen.

    "Will we ever be more than friends?" I asked her. She shrugged.

    "I don't know Jacob. You really hurt me five years ago. You promised you wouldn't hurt me yet you still did. I don't trust you like that anymore." She mumbled looking down. My heart had a sudden ache knowing I caused her pain. I knew I did but I didn't mean to. I had to.

   "Shit what is this wine doing." She whispered harshly at her glass.

   "I wish I could explain to you why I left, but I can't." I said reaching forward and tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. She cleared her throat before stepping away from my hand.

   "So friends?" She asked.

    "More than friends?" I asked back.

   "No Jacob. I can't." Charlie said shaking her head. A frown settled on my lips.

  "Why not?" I countered back quickly.

  "I shouldn't have to have a reasoning behind all of my actions." She snapped before setting her glass down and walking away.

   "She's got quite a bit of fire in her now." Austin said coming up behind me. I let out a scoff like laugh and nodded.

  "You're telling me." I replied before turning around and making my way into the crowd.