clxxvi. a brown christmas

As Christmas began to roll around Tori was feeling more and more anxious

As Christmas began to roll around Tori was feeling more and more anxious. She felt as if she was being watched at every moment at the Ministry. And most likely, she was.

She doubted people believed her little statement about Harry, and with Tonks gone, she barely had anyone to back her up.

Tonks was staying at her parent's house to keep herself and the baby safe. She was starting to show now, and Tori had visited a few times.

She kept in contact with Lupin, learning anything she could that could help her throw the Ministry off Harry's trail. She was working in a very dangerous job, but it was a risk she was willing to take.

Christmas at the Burrow wasn't filled with the same thrill as before. Tori could tell Molly was trying her best. Tori had technically been the only one who had contact with Harry since they all left. Molly knew it was to keep them safe, but she still sobbed at any mention of Ron.

Bill and Fleur weren't joining them that Christmas either. They planned to stay in the Shell Cottage they lived in now for their own Christmas together.

Ginny very rarely talked about Hogwarts. All she said is that it had changed, and things weren't going well. She mentioned once that Dumbledore's Army was back together, but said nothing else.

On Christmas Eve, it was warmer than usual. The Earth around them was usually touched down by a gentle coat of snow, yet instead, it was brown, with dying leaves on the grass. The Weasleys all sat around the living room, mostly quiet. Tori was reading over the Daily Prophet, tapping her foot against the creaky floorboard. She pursed her lips together as Lee Jordan's voice filled the radio.

"Good evening and Happy Christmas to all of you listeners..."

Fred got up from his spot at the table and turned the dial-up on the radio when Lee started listening to the names of those who had gone missing. Once again, Tori held her breath, listening closely. She could tell everyone else was too. Luckily, she didn't recognize anyone.

"There's once again been no sight of Harry Potter besides the small information we have about him being in the Ministry. Then again, that was months ago. The Death Eaters are still after him and anyone they believe could be an accomplice.  I'll check in with you all tomorrow. The password will be Phoenix. Merry Christmas, goodnight, and be safe."

Tori sighed, folding the newspaper and setting it down on the coffee table in front of her where George was showing Ginny how to properly use their darkness powder. She thought about what Lee said and couldn't help but wondering what Harry, Ron, and Hermione were doing. Were they close to finding whatever they were looking for?

She wished they would have told her what they were looking for. She could have helped in one way or another. Tori ran her fingers through her hair, running in through the knots.

"Let's go for a walk," Fred said to Tori, coming over towards her. She nodded, slowly getting up from her seat and stretching.

"Are you sure it's safe?" Molly asked, looking up at her son. Fred must have shot Molly a look because she weakly nodded, "I know. I know, you're both old enough to take care of yourselves. I... I just get so worried!" Her voice shook as she looked on the verge of tears, no doubt thinking about Ron.

Tori patted Molly on the shoulder gently, smiling at her. "He'll be alright." She assured her, despite having no clue what so ever if that was true. She grabbed her jumper from the coat rack and followed Fred out through the back door.

They walked the gardens for a bit. The sky above them began to get darker and darker as the sun fell into the horizon. Tori held Fred's hand, which was warm. Their breath appeared in the air despite there being no snow on the ground.

"You alright? You seem... jumpy." Fred commented after Tori flinched for the fourth time. She nodded, glancing over at a pair of bushes. "I guess I'm just paranoid. I'm constantly being watched at work..."

"Any trouble with your brother?" Fred asked. Tori shook her head, "He seems to be avoiding me. I don't understand it, I know he's a bad person. He's been terrible to me. But... he's still my brother... I can't help but care a little bit about him. Same way with Dove."

Tori paused, watching the sun slowly sink in the sky. "As much as I want to hate them, and I've definitely wanted to slap them over the years, It's getting harder... Godric. Being a Silvers sucks."

"Then why don't you be a Weasley?" Fred's voice asked her. Tori turned, about to crack a joke when she gasped. Fred was kneeling on one knee and in his hand laid a box with a ring in the center.

Tori immediately covered her mouth, staring at the diamond ring inside the box. It sparkled with the fading sunlight.

"They're had always been something special about you, Tori. I always stalled when it came to telling you how I felt, by jabbing Lee or glaring at George. But this is something I refuse to wait for. I love you, so much. I have for a long time and I always will. Besides, Victoria Weasley sounds a lot better."

Tori let out a shaky laugh, wiping her eyes so she would be able to see him. Fred was smiling himself, though even with a grin he still looked very nervous.

"So, Victoria Beatrice Silvers. Will you marry me?"

Tori nodded, silently sobbing. "Yes! Yes!" And with that she launched herself into his arms, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him.

And for that moment, she didn't care about anything else. Not her siblings, not her job, not what was going on in the world. She only cared about herself and Fred, and their future together.

 She only cared about herself and Fred, and their future together

cute

this actually made me really happy to write
🥺