cxxvi. grimmauld place

Tori and Tonks followed Harry back into the hall and up the stairs, looking around with much curiosity and interest

"Funny place," Tonks said. "It's a bit too clean, d'you know what I mean? Bit unnatural. Oh, this is better," She added, as they entered Harry's bedroom and he turned on the light.

His room was certainly much messier than the rest of the house. Most of the books he owned were strewn over the floor, Hedwig's cage needed cleaning out and was starting to smell; and his trunk lay open, revealing a jumbled mixture of Muggle clothes and wizards' robes that had spilled on to the floor around it.

"Reckon I should go hex something in Dudley's room?" Tori asked Harry, who started picking up books and throwing them hastily into his trunk. Harry chuckled, shrugging. "Maybe. I think he likes you. One of the few things he's said to me this summer was asking who you were."

Yeah, Tori was definitely going to hex a couple of stuff.

Tonks paused at his open wardrobe to look critically at her reflection in the mirror on the inside of the door. "You know, I don't think violet's really my color," She said pensively, tugging at a lock of spiky hair. "D'you think it makes me look a bit peaky?"

"Er  —  " said Harry, looking up at her over the top of Quidditch Teams of Britain and Ireland.

"Yeah, it does," Tonks replied decisively. She screwed up her eyes in a strained expression as though she was struggling to remember something. A second later, her hair had turned bubble-gum pink.

"How did you do that?" Harry asked, gaping at her as she opened her eyes again. Tori couldn't help but stare as well.

"I'm a Metamorphmagus,' She replied, looking back at her reflection and turning her head so that she could see her hair from all directions. "It means I can change my appearance at will," She added, spotting Harry's puzzled expression in the mirror behind her. "I was born one. I got top marks in Concealment and Disguise during Auror training without any study at all, it was great."

"You're an Auror?" Harry asked, impressed. "Yeah," Tonks replied, looking proud. "Kingsley is as well; he's a bit higher up than me, though. I only qualified a year ago. Nearly failed on Stealth and Tracking. I'm dead clumsy, did you hear me trip over that umbrella stand when we arrived downstairs?"

"Can you learn how to be a Metamorphmagus?" Harry asked her, straightening up, completely forgetting about packing.

Tonks chuckled. "Bet you wouldn't mind hiding that scar sometimes, eh?"

Her eyes found the lightning-shaped scar on Harry's forehead. "No, I wouldn't mind,' Harry mumbled, turning away.

"Well, you'll have to learn the hard way, I'm afraid," Tonks replied. "Metamorphmagi are really rare, they're born, not made. Most wizards need to use a wand, or potions, to change their appearance. But we've got to get going, Harry, we're supposed to be packing," She added guiltily, looking around at all the mess on the floor.