lxxvvii. a nasty storm

"Where's Professor Lupin?" Tori whispered to Angelina

"Where's Professor Lupin?" Tori whispered to Angelina. Snape was standing in the center of their Defense Against the Dark Arts class instead of the new well liked teacher on Friday afternoon.

"Professor Lupin says he is feeling too ill to teach today," Snape said with a twisted smile. "Now, all of you sit down and turn to page three hundred and ninety-four."

The class did so solemnly, realizing he was teaching them about werewolves. Tori raised her hand, "We've already learned about werewolves last year, Professor. We were about to start hags—"

"Then take this as a review, Miss Silvers."

"But sir—"

"Five points from Gryffindor. Now. Which of you can tell me how we distinguish between the werewolf and the true wolf?" Snape asked the class.

Everyone sat in motionless silence, trying to remember. "Anyone?" Snape said. His twisted smile was back. "Are you telling me that Professor Lupin hasn't even taught you the basic distinction between—"

"We told you," said a Slytherin girl suddenly, "We haven't gone back to werewolves yet, we're on—"

"Silence! Professor Lupin hadn't left anything about your lesson plan, so you will be silent unless I ask any more questions."

No one made a sound throughout the rest of the lesson. They sat and made notes on werewolves from the textbook, while Snape prowled up and down the rows of desks, examining the work they had been doing with Professor Lupin.

"Very poorly explained... that is incorrect, the Kappa is more commonly found in Mongolia... Professor Lupin gave this eight out of ten? I wouldn't have given it three..."

When the bell rang, at last, Snape held them back. "You will each write an essay, to be handed in to me, on the ways you recognize and kill werewolves. I want two rolls of parchment on the subject, and I want them by Monday morning. It is time somebody took this class in hand."

"Git," Tori muttered under her breath as they left the class. "He portrays them so terribly, I sort of feel bad for werewolves." Alicia sighed. "I'll see you guys. Good luck at the match."

Just before she entered the changing room, Tori saw Dove with Malfoy, laughing and pointing at Harry from under an enormous umbrella on their way to the stadium. Tori rolled her eyes, wondering why they had to be so mean.

The team changed into their scarlet robes and waited for Wood's usual pre-match pep talk, but it didn't come. He tried to speak several times, made an odd gulping noise, then shook his head hopelessly and beckoned them to follow him.

The wind was so strong that they staggered sideways as they walked out onto the pitch. If the crowd was cheering they couldn't hear it over the fresh rolls of thunder. Tori was already soaked from being out there for five minutes.