iii. an unlikely friend

Victoria's first week might have been the worst week of her life

She had gotten used to the whispers and the staring eyes of her classmates, and sitting alone at most meals. When she tried to sit but some girls, they would place their hand down and respond, "Sorry. This seat is taken."

So Victoria sat at the end of her table, usually with a book so she had something to do. She ate her lunch, with a hand blocking her face so she couldn't see the other students looking at her.

Her classes weren't much better.

She was good at Transfiguration, Professor McGonagall praised her many times for her skill. She was pretty good at charms too, but Potions was a disaster. Professor Snape LOVED to pick on Victoria, and she was sure it was his favorite thing to remind her what a wonderful Slytherin student her brother was.

She had had enough. So that's why she was standing in front of Dumbledore's office. Only a few moments ago she was in the library, minding her own business when she heard another group of kids talk about her.

"First person in over one hundred years to be sorted into Slytherin."

"I bet her families so ashamed."

That caused her to stop dead. She turned around to face whoever said that. Two Ravenclaw girls stared back at her, neither of them showing any signs of regret.

"I..." Victoria opened her mouth to speak but no words came out. She felt her eyes begin to water and she turned away, running out of the library and down the hall.

Victoria began to pace in front of Dumbledore's office. She knew it was a bad idea and began to turn back, besides it was almost curfew. Right, when she was turning away, there was a loud rumbling sound and Victoria realized the Eagle in front of Dumbledore's office was gone. It was replaced with stairs and on them stood Dumbledore himself.

"Ah, Victoria Silvers. I've been expecting you."

"You have? I mean. Yes, sir. I've come-"

"I know why you come, now come in, and we'll talk about it inside." Victoria nodded and followed him up the stairs and into his office.

Dumbledore's office was filled with vastly wide and filled with paintings. Victoria looked around in awe as they made their way to his desk.

"Now, tell me. What is troubling you?"

"Well..." Victoria began, scratching the back of her head. "You see, I've done some thinking, and I think I was sorted into the wrong house,  see—"

"HOGWASH! I'VE NEVER MADE A MISTAKE." A loud voice filled the room and Victoria flinched. She slowly glanced up to see The Sorting Hat seated on top of a shelf. If it had eyes, she was sure it'd be glaring at her.

"But I'm a Silver, all Silvers..."

"Are Slytherins?" Dumbledore cut her off. "But, you're not." He pointed out. Victoria has to refrain herself from rolling her eyes. "Well yes, but it had to be a mistake..."