lxxviii. quite a scare

"He looks a bit peaky, doesn't he?" Ron whispered

"He looks a bit peaky, doesn't he?" Ron whispered. The entire quidditch team stood over Harry, pale, wide-eyed, and shaky. He had just fallen almost a hundred feet, Madam Pomfrey was mumbling how he was lucky to be alive.

"Peaky?" Fred demanded, glancing at his younger brother.

"What do you expect?" George shook his head, annoyed.

"He fell over one hundred feet."

"Let's walk you off a tower and see what you look like."

"Probably a right sight better than he normally does," Harry muttered, opening his eyes. Tori felt a wave of relief float over her.

"That was the scariest thing I've ever seen in my life." She told him, rubbing her arm repeatedly. Her eyes were red and tired and she was positive she pulled something while catching Harry, but it wasn't important.

"Scariest..." Angelina shuddered.

"How're you feeling?" Fred said, who looked extremely white underneath the mud. "What happened?" Harry asked, sitting up so suddenly they all gasped

"You fell off," Fred said. "Dumbledore managed to slow you down. Lay back down, mate."

"We thought you'd died," Tori's voice was hardly a whisper, she was still shaking. "But the match," Harry said. "What happened? Are we having a replay?"

No one said anything.

"We didn't— lose?"

"Diggory got the Snitch," George sighed. "Just after you fell. He didn't realize what had happened. When he looked back and saw you on the ground, he tried to call it off. Wanted a re-match. But they won fair and square... even Wood admits it."

"Where is Wood?" Harry asked suddenly realizing he wasn't there. "Still in the showers," Fred replied. "We think he's trying to drown himself."

Harry put his face to his knees, his hands gripping his hair. Fred grabbed his shoulder and shook it roughly. "C'mon, Harry, you've never missed the Snitch before."

"There had to be one time you didn't get it," George replied. "Besides, you're alive."

"It's not over yet," said Fred. "We lost by a hundred points, right? So if Hufflepuff loses to Ravenclaw and we beat Ravenclaw and Slytherin..."

"Hufflepuff'll have to lose by at least two hundred points," George pointed out.

"But if they beat Ravenclaw..."

"No way, Ravenclaw is too good. But if Slytherin loses against Hufflepuff..."

"It all depends on the points— a margin of a hundred either way—"

Harry lay there, not saying a word. Tori elbowed Fred in the gut with her good arm, glancing at Harry with a glare. The twins immediately stopped, looking sheepish.