Betrothal| James X F! Reader

For this I'm placing Alice in Gryffindor and Frank in Hufflepuff, it's not really important to the story, but adds a little background.

~~~~

They promised, they promised and now I was going to have to marry some fat, old, dude!

I groan, letting my head drop on the table.

"What's wrong?" Marlene asks.

I hand her the letter, not moving my head.

"Really?" Marlene asks.

I nod.

"But didn't your parents say that they weren't going to force you to be betrothed."

I groan, again.

"What's wrong with L/n, here?" Sirius Black asks.

"Y/n, can I tell him?"

"Whatever," I mutter.

"Wow, whatever this is that's causing L/n to be like this must be huge for her-"

"Y/n's parents are looking for suitable husbands for her to marry," Marlene intervenes.

"What?" Black exclaims.

"I know," I say grumbling.

"Do you know who you're going to have to marry?"

I move my head from off the table, "No, my parents are just looking at options right now."

"Options for what?" Lupin asks.

"Marriage," Marlene says.

"Who's marriage?" Potter asks.

"Bugger off Potter," I say at the same time as Black says, "L/n here."

"You're getting married?" Potter asks.

"Not that it's any of your businesses, but yes my parents are looking to find me a guy to marry by Christmas."

"And you agreed to this?" Potter asks, bewildered.

"Of course I didn't agree to this!  My parents are forcing me to marry someone I don't want!  I wanted to marry for love, not so that my family would be higher in the pure-blood rankings!"

"Come on, Y/n, we should get to class," Marlene says, putting a gentle hand on my back.

"Okay," I say, standing up, neither of us chose to mention that our first class isn't until later.

As my classes continue, I start to notice the looks James is giving me.  But I ignore the probing looks and make it through my classes. 

"L/n!" I hear a voice call.

I turn towards the noise and see Black running towards me.

"Black?" I question.

"Can I walk you to dinner?"

I raise a eyebrow, "Why?"

"Can't I keep a friend company?"

"What do you want?"

"Can I borrow your notes from DADA?"

"Isn't that what you have Lupin for?"

"He's helping James."

"Fine, but if I don't get them back, you'll be receiving a nice Howler from Mrs Potter, and a hex!"

"You wouldn't!" Black gasps.

"You want to test that theory?"

"Not really, no."

"Then I'll need my notes back before the Hogsmeade trip."