Childhood Crush | Sam X Reader

"Someone has been coming over and helping a lot lately," Sarah says to Sam.

"Who?" Sam asks, playing dumb.

"C'mon, Sam.  Y/n has had a crush on you for forever!"

"I'm pretty sure, Y/n, grew out of that crush."

"Ah!  Cass!  You got me!  AJ, you've got to avenge me," a voice exclaims dramatically, before the sound of a body hitting the ground sounds.

"Don't worry!  I've got you!"

The sounds of fake fighting reach the ears of the two older Wilson's.

Sarah gives Sam a look, as if to say, I told you so.

"Heya, Sarah!" you come bounding in, a piece of grass in your hair.

"You're back soon."

"Yeah, pops kicked me out, told me that I was working too hard."

"And now you're here, so you can work some more?"

"Yup!"

"Sometimes I just don't get you," Sarah sighs.

"Well-" you're interrupted by the two young Wilson's barging into the room.

"Uncle Sam!  Uncle Sam!"

You whirl around, not realizing that he was here.

"Sam!  I didn't see you there," you feel super hot.

"I can see that," Sam chuckles.  "It's good to see you again."

"Mhm," you glare at Sarah for not letting you know that Sam was in town.

"How have you been?"

"The last five years have sucked, if that's what you mean."

"So-"

"I was part of the half that didn't get dusted."

"Oh."  The mood in the room is somber.

"But now, I'm the same age as you!" you try and lift some of the gloom.

"Yeah, I guess that's true."

"We're going to go help with the ship, want to come?"

"Uh, yeah!" you exclaim.

~~~

You've been working for a while when Sam asks, "How do we get it off the truck?"

The said thing is immediately lifted and placed down.   Once the object is down, you're able to get a look at the person who helped.

"You're welcome," the brown haired man says.

Everyone else goes back to work, but you approach Sam, who approached the man.

"Just dropping this off," you hear the man say.  "You can sign for it and I'll go.  I called in a favor from the Wakandans."

Sam looks like he's about to respond when a pipe bursts and both you and Sam rush to fix it.

"Hi," the man says to you and Sarah, who also rushed to the steam.

"Hi!" both you and Sarah say, before looking at each other, with a smile.

"All right, all right," the man says, going to help Sam.  "Hold on, hold on!  You gotta go up!"  The man takes the wrench from Sam's hand and moves it in the direction he indicated.

"Why didn't you use the metal arm?" Sam asks.

"Sam!" you exclaim.  "Don't be rude, this man just helped you!"

The brown haired man smiles before saying, "Well, I don't always think of it immediately.  I'm right handed."  There was a pause before he asks, "Do you want any help?"

"Fine, just no flirting with my sister, or Y/n!"

"Such a buzzkill," you mutter under your breath.

"I'm Bucky," the man says to you and Sarah.

"Y/n."

"Sarah."

"Sarah," Bucky repeats, before heading towards Sam.

"I think he's flirting with you," you exclaim, singsong.

"Yeah, okay," Sarah dismisses, "but did you notice that Sam said you were off-limits?"

"He still thinks of me as that same child that had a crush on him all those years ago.  Sam's just over protective."

"But there's no reason he should be, unless he's interested."

"Sarah, please.  Sam and I have barely spoken five words to each other."

"But you felt the need to mention how you two were now the same age?  Could it be because Sam wouldn't date you because you were five years younger than him?"

"Or it was because I wanted to lighten up the mood?"

"Y/n!  Can you come here?"

"Give me a sec," you yell back, before turning to Sarah, "I'm over him.  Besides he's your brother."

You leave without letting Sarah reply.

~~

"Hey!  Bucky, right?" you ask.

He nods, "And you're Y/n?  The other person Sam said not to flirt with?"

"That's me.  I just wanted to thank you for protecting Sam, and the world."

"Thanks," Bucky blushes.

"You know," you start.

"Y/n!" Sam calls.

"Ugh," you groan to Bucky.  "Over here."

"You like him," Bucky observes.

"Why does everyone say that?"

"What are you two doing?" Sam glares at Bucky, who just smiles innocently.

"We're just having a conversation, is that a problem?" you ask.

"No," you can feel Sam's glare as you turn to Bucky again.

"You-"

"Y/n, can we talk?" Sam interrupts you.

"I don't know, Bucky and I were in the mid-"

"Please?"

"Fine, we'll finish this talk later."

You follow Sam towards the tree area.

"I thought you liked me?"

"Sam, you can't just appear in my life, expecting me not to move on!  I have a life that doesn't revolve around you!  We haven't talked in six or so years!  That's one year before the blip even happened!"

"I'm sorry for assuming."  Sam starts to walk away, but you place a hand on his arm, stopping him.

"I do like you Sam, and I would be willing to give this, us, a chance."

A smile brightens Sam's face, "Alright, how about two Fridays from now?"

"Sounds good.  I'll see you there."

You turn back to the house where you come face to face with Sarah.

"I knew you still liked him.  When's your first date?"

"Um, two weeks from now?"

"Sam is making you wait two weeks?"

"Well in his defense, he does have a lot going on with the Flag Smashers and whatever else he deals with."

"Okay, I guess that's fair."