Chilltober 17: nature

"And everyone has boots on?" Zoe asked, strapping Tia into the stroller.

"Yes Mommy." Mallory groaned, hanging off the doorknob.

"Mal where's your hat?" Zoe asked.

"I don't want it." Mallory whined. Zoe sighed and put Mallory's hat in the stroller pocket as Evan walked downstairs.

"All right, let's go!" Evan said smiling. Mallory ran out the door followed by Zoe and Tia's stroller and Evan locking the door behind them.

After a few short minutes of walking the four Hansen's reached an opening to the forest near their house.

"All right, who's going in first?" Evan asked. Mallory giggled and ran ahead of her parents down the trail.

"Now Mal, what are the things you need to collect for school?" Zoe called. Evan produced the list from his pocket and showed it to Zoe.

"A pinecone, three different colour leaves, leaves from three different trees, pictures of animal tracks, moss, three interesting rocks, and a photo of an animal." Zoe read. Mallory came running back to her parents with a pinecone in her hand.

"Oh that's a really nice one! Now go find your leaves." Zoe said, putting the pinecone in the nature walk bag.

Mallory took off down the path again and came running back a few minutes later with a red maple leaf, an orange oak leaf, and a yellow-brown birch leaf.

"Good job Mal, now go find some more stuff."

+++

Almost an hour later, Mallory had collected everything that she needed, except for the photo of an animal.

"None of these photos are gooood." Mallory whined, hanging off of her fathers arm.

"I'm sure we can find one that's good." Zoe assured her.

"Okay Mal, be very quiet, and look where I'm pointing." Evan whispered.

Zoe and Mallory's eyes followed where Evan was pointing and Mallory gasped quietly.

In a clearing, about 20 feet away stood a doe and a baby deer.

Zoe quickly pulled out her phone and snapped a quick picture before both deer heard a twig snap and ran away.

"That's going to be the best picture ever!" Mallory cheered.