Grace

Dedicated to Virginia_Lewis

"No Connor. I'm worried about her. Because she's 13. Remember when you were 13? Yeah. She's going down that road. No I'm taking a dinner break. ER shift. That's not the point. The point is, Grace is taking a turn down the road you went when you were 13! No but I found prescription drugs in her room. No the prescription was for Evan! And she's getting distant and she's acting different. She's my only child Connor, I will not lose her! Okay. I'll talk to Evan about it and I'll call you back, let you know what we think. I don't know how long it will be. Okay. Love you too. Bye!"

Zoe hung up and put her cellphone in the pocket of her scrubs. She sighed and walked into one of the trauma rooms.

+*+

"Evan. I think Connor can help her." Zoe said.

"Zoe. Connor lives eight hours away. I don't think we can send Grace to him for the entire summer." Evan said.

"But she's going down the exact same path. I watched this happen to Connor and the next thing I knew he was trying to kill himself. I will not lose her Evan." Zoe said. Evan sighed and took her hand.

"What if I talk to her?" Evan asked.

"No. If you try to talk to her about this she's going to think you're trying to psychoanalyze her or something." Zoe said.

"Okay well we should talk to her before we decide anything." Evan said.

"Yeah of course." Zoe said. She took a deep breath and Evan hugged her.

"It's okay Zo. It'll be okay." Evan soothed.

+*+

Zoe grabbed her purse and her phone and looked at Grace.

"Grace. Come on sweetie. You'll be late." Zoe said. Grace looked at Zoe and rolled her eyes.

"Grace. Come on sweetheart. We gotta go." Zoe said.

"I don't want to go Mom." Grace said. Evan walked into the kitchen with his bag over his shoulder.

"I know honey but you need to go to school." Zoe said.

Evan smiled and grabbed his coffee mug before kissing Zoe.

"Bye Zo. Bye Grace." Evan said. He kissed the top of Grace's head and waved before leaving.

"Okay Grace. Come on honey, time to go." Zoe said.

"Whatever." Grace said. She stood up and grabbed her backpack.

Zoe pulled her sneakers on and grabbed her purse and her phone.

"Okay Grace, lets go!" Zoe said. Grace sighed and walked out the front door.

+*+

"Hello?" Zoe said as she signed chart after chart.

"Good morning Mrs Hansen, it's Mrs Smith calling from Grace's school. I'm so sorry to bother you but it appears that your daughter isn't in school today. Is she at home sick?"

Zoe's heart plummeted.

"No. She's not. Was she at the school at all? Because I dropped her off this morning." Zoe said, starting to panic.

"Well she wasn't in class but there is every possibility that she's on the property. So we'll look and call you back okay?" Mrs Smith said.

"Okay. Thank you." Zoe said before hanging up. She dialled Evan's number and ran a hand through her hair.