Chilltober 19: Sleep

Zoe yawned as she walked upstairs. Evan had gone to bed a little while ago but she had insisted on staying up a little later.

She poked her head into Mallory's room and then into Tia's nursery, smiling lightly when she saw both girls sleeping soundly. She walked into the master bedroom and into her closet where she changed into her pyjamas before walking to the bathroom and brushing her teeth. 

As she climbed into bed, she leaned over and kissed Evan on the cheek. He shifted and put an arm over Zoe's waist. She smiled and lied down, plugging her phone in. She stared at the purple numbers on her clock as they ticked past.

She heard a scratch. It sounded like it was coming from inside the wall. Zoe instantly felt a feeling of sheer terror and fear and an almost evil presence in the bedroom.

Zoe was about to scream when she saw the door opening. There was a dark shadowy hand that grabbed the door. The door was fully open now and Zoe saw a shadowy figure draped in a coat with a hood.

The creature came closer and Zoe gasped.

The next few moments were a blur and the next thing Zoe knew, the creature was on her chest with its claws around her throat. The creature leaned forward and Zoe felt tears in her eyes as the creature whispered evil things into her ear. 

Zoe was struggling to draw breath as the grip got tighter and tighter. She didn't want to die. She couldn't. 

She looked over to the window and saw a pair of glowing white eyes. Her eyes widened and the eyes got closer. They seemed to be attached to a horse like creature and the scratching sound got louder and louder. The scratching mixed with the creatures breathing was getting louder and louder. 

Zoe was ready to give up. As she gave up and let suffocation take her, everything stopped. Zoe sat bolt upright and started breathing heavily. She frantically looked around the room and grabbed at her neck. There were no hands, no eyes, and no scratching sounds. Zoe's breathing was heavy and Evan sat up.

"Baby, what happened?" Evan asked, groggily.

"That was so scary." Zoe gasped.

"What happened?" Evan asked.

"I think... I think I just had a sleep paralysis episode." Zoe breathed. Evan pulled her close.

"It's okay baby. I'm right here. It's not real, nothing can hurt you. I'm right here." Evan soothed. Zoe felt her breathing slow and she closed her eyes, letting sleep takeover.