Chilltober 4: antique

Mallory groaned as her mother held her hand, dragging her through the old dusty store.

"Mama I'm booooooored. We can get all this stuff from Home Sense" Mallory whined.

"Mal, we just got here. We'll go in a few minutes, but I'm trying to support small businesses." Zoe said. Mallory whined.

"Can I at least have my hand back?" Mallory asked, pouting at her mother. Zoe sighed and let go of Mallory's hand.

"Okay Mal, but no touching okay? There's lots of breakable things in here." Zoe warned. Mallory nodded and wandered down the aisle.

She ended up in an aisle full of old dolls. She frowned and picked one of them up.

"Why are these all so creepy?" Mallory muttered. She set the doll down and turned to look at some of the other toys when she saw an older lady standing a few feet from her.

"Do you like the dolls little one?" She asked. Mallory shrugged.

"They're kinda creepy. But some of them are nice I guess." Mallory said.

"And what's your name?" The lady asked.

"I'm Mallory. Who are you?" Mallory asked.

"I'm Maude, I own this store. And how old are you?" Maude asked.

"I'm 6!" Mallory said, showing the lady six of her fingers.

"Six?! My goodness what a big girl." Maude said.

"And I'm a big sister too!" Mallory exclaimed.

"Oh my goodness, really? How many siblings do you have?" Maude asked.

"I have a sister, she's one. And my mommy is having another baby and I really want it to be a boy." Mallory said excitedly.

"Brothers are exciting! I remember my brother." Maude said.

"What happened to him?" Mallory asked.

"Oh he died a long time ago." Maude said sadly. Mallory frowned.

"Well, if my mommy has a boy, maybe you can come and visit him!" Mallory said excitedly.

"That's very sweet of you Mallory." Maude said.

Mallory smiled as Zoe walked towards her.

"There you are Mal! Who's this!" Zoe asked, smiling at the older lady.

"This is my new friend Maude. She owns the store! Her brother died so I said if you have a boy then she can come and visit him!" Mallory said excitedly. Zoe smiled at Mallory and adjusted the bag in her hand.

"Your store is lovely." Zoe said sweetly.

"Oh thank you darling, I'm so glad you like it." Maude said.

"Well we have to get going, but we'll make sure to come back, right Mallory?" Zoe asked. Mallory nodded and Maude smiled.

"I'll be awaiting your return." Maude said with a smile.

"Bye Maude! See you next time!" Mallory said waving.

"Bye Mallory! It was nice to meet you!" Maude said. Mallory smiled and turned to Zoe.

"I like Maude. She's nice."

Zoe smiled.

"You're right ladybug, she is nice."