Chilltober 9: football

Mallory wouldn't speak to her mother.

Her parents had been incredibly unhappy because of what had happened yesterday.

"Mallory! Dinner!" Her mother's voice rang throughout the house and Mallory ignored her.

She heard her parents talking softly downstairs before she heard footsteps and her door opening. Her father stood in the doorway and looked at her.

"Mal, didn't you hear Mommy? Dinner's ready." He said.

"I heard." Mallory said shortly. She didn't want to have to start ignoring her father but if she had to she would. 

"I know you're upset with your mother, but you can't keep ignoring her." Evan explained, sitting on Mallory's bed.

"She hates me." Mallory snapped.

"Mommy doesn't hate you, but you really hurt Mommy yesterday." Evan said gently.

"She just had a nosebleed, she's okay." Mallory whined.

"Mal, you broke Mommy's nose. You hit her really hard." Evan explained. Mallory was silent and looked at her father.

"Is that why Mommy has that funny bandaid on her nose?" Mallory asked. Evan nodded.

"Now, let's go eat dinner, and maybe you can apologize to Mommy?" Evan asked. Mallory nodded and followed her father downstairs. When they walked into the kitchen, Zoe was serving everyone's dinner and Evan took it from her.

"Go sit honey, the doctor said take it easy." Evan said softly.

"I'm fine." Zoe insisted, stubbornly.

"Sweetheart, please. Let me get dinner. You go sit." Evan said, gently nudging her towards the table. Zoe sighed as Evan pressed a kiss to her temple. She sat at the table and Mallory looked at her.

"Mommy," Mallory started. Zoe looked at her and nodded.

"Yes Mallory?" Zoe asked.

"I'm sorry for hurting your nose and kicking you and not listening yesterday." Mallory whispered.

"Thank you Mallory, I accept your apology." Zoe said.

"Are you mad at me?" Mallory asked. Zoe looked at her six year old and sighed.

"I was mad yesterday, but you really hurt Mommy and you could've hurt the baby." Zoe explained. At the mention of the baby, Mallory's head shot up and Zoe sighed.

"But the baby is safe in your tummy!" Mallory protested.

"But you almost kicked Mommy's tummy. If you'd kicked hard enough, you could've hurt the baby." Zoe explained. Mallory was quiet as Evan set her plate in front of her.

"I'm sorry Mommy." Mallory said softly. Zoe sighed gently and walked over to Mallory. She hugged her tightly and sighed.

"I forgive you Mallory." Zoe whispered in her ear. Mallory hugged her mother tightly and when Zoe let go, Mallory started eating.

"Daddy, what time is the football game?" Mallory asked, putting her fork in her mouth.

"Kickoff is in twenty five minutes, so we're going to eat and then clean up, and then we can watch the game." Evan said.

Evan wasn't a huge football fan, but Mallory loved watching the Cincinnati Bengals play so the Hansen family always watched the Bengals games.

"Okay!" Mallory said happily, putting her food in her mouth.

+++

"Daddy can you run fast like them?" Mallory asked, pointing to the television.

"Not as fast as them Mal, they are very good." Evan explained, putting a piece of popcorn in Mallory's mouth.

Zoe had her feet up on the coffee table and a hand on her baby bump. Tia was playing with her blocks between the television and the coffee table and Mallory was sitting between her parents, with her head on her mother's arm.

Zoe felt something flutter in her stomach and she sat up abruptly. 

"What is it honey?" Evan asked, looking at Zoe.

"The baby!" Zoe gasped.

"What about the baby?" Evan asked, getting slightly more panicked.

"The baby just kicked." Zoe gasped. Evan pulled Mallory into his lap and moved closer to Zoe.

Zoe took one of his hands and one of Mallory's hands and put them where she had felt the kick.

"I don't feel anything." Mallory said. 

"Just wait." Evan said.

"Come on baby, kick again for Daddy." Zoe coaxed. There was another flutter and Mallory gasped.

"That's the baby?" Mallory asked. Zoe nodded and the fluttering happened again. Evan kissed Mallory's head.

"Tia, come feel!" Mallory called. Tia toddled over and put her hand beside Mallory's. The fluttering happened again and Tia smiled.

"Ba-bee." Tia babbled.

"Yeah, T. It's Mommy's baby." Mallory said. Tia quickly lost interest and went back over to her blocks. 

Mallory seemed to forget about the Bengals and focused on the tiny flutters coming from her sibling.

"How much longer?" Mallory asked.

"Four more months Mal." Zoe said, playing with Mallory's dirty blonde hair. Mallory sighed.

"That's so long!" She whined. Zoe smiled.

"The baby needs to grow a bit more before they can come say hello." Zoe explained.

"How big is the baby?" Mallory asked. 

"Honey can you get a Thanksgiving carrot?" Zoe asked. Evan nodded and walked in the kitchen, returning with a carrot a few minutes later. Zoe showed Mallory the carrot.

"This is how long the baby is. But eventually the baby'll be the size of a watermelon." Zoe explained.

"Did you get any pictures from the last doctor visit?" Mallory asked.

"We did! Evan, honey can you grab my purse?" Zoe asked. Evan kissed her forehead and grabbed her purse from the front hall.

Zoe pulled out her wallet and pulled out a sonogram photo. Mallory took it from her mother and stared at it.

"It looks more like a baby now." Mallory said.

"They do, don't they?" Evan said.

"When will the baby come?" Mallory asked.

"Well the due date is February 7th, but it could be as early as mid January." Zoe explained.

"You could have a Valentine's Day baby!" Mallory gasped.

"I don't think so Mal, a week late is pretty unlikely, especially since it's Mommy's third baby." Evan explained.

"Besides, girls have a tendency to come early, and I think it's a girl." Zoe said.

"Another one?" Mallory asked, sounding disappointed.

"I think it's going to be a boy." Evan whispered to Mallory.

"I hope it's a boy! I want a brother, not another sister." Mallory groaned.

"Either way, girl or boy, we will all love the baby the same." Evan assured Mallory.

"Now, let's see how badly the Bengals are losing." Evan said, turning his attention back to the television. Mallory followed his lead but kept a hand on Zoe's bump to feel more flutters.