Chilltober 6: kite

"Girls! Look what came in the mail from Nana and Papa!" Evan called as he walked in the front door.

Mallory ran towards her father with Tia wobbling behind her.

"What is it?!" Mallory asked bouncing on the balls of her feet.

"You'll have to open it and find out, won't you?" Evan asked. Mallory smiled and the girls followed their father and the present into the kitchen.

"Oh my goodness a present from Nana and Papa?" Zoe asked, wiping her hands on the towel.

"Can we open it?!" Mallory asked her mother.

"Get Daddy the scissors and I'm sure he'll help you." Zoe said, handing Mallory the scissors.

"Here Daddy!" Mallory said, sliding the scissors to Evan.

"Da-da, uppy." Tia whined. Evan scooped Tia up and settled her in his lap. Mallory looked at the present as her father cut away the packing tape.

"Oh wow! Girls look!" Evan said.

"What is it?" Mallory asked. Evan lifted the package out of the box and Zoe gasped.

"Oh my goodness, look at that! You girls are so lucky!" Zoe gushed.

"What is it though?" Mallory asked again.

"It's a kite! Shaped like a squid!" Zoe said, pointing to the kites package. Mallory smiled and looked at her father.

"Can we go to the park and fly it?!" Mallory asked.

"Park!" Tia yelled. Evan smiled and Zoe nodded.

"Of course! Mal, go get your coat and your sneakers and we'll all go to the park and fly the kite together." Evan said. Mallory squealed in excitement and took off towards the shoe closet.

+++

"Run Mal! Run!" Evan cheered. 

Mallory flew across the soccer field and the kite danced through the air.

Tia had lost interest fairly quickly and was currently gathering leaves and toddling over to Zoe, giving them to her.

"Mommy look!" Mallory yelled. Zoe looked up from her pile of leaves and saw the kite bobbing through the air.

"Looks great Mal!" Zoe yelled back.

"Ma-ma, 'eaf!" Tia babbled, handing Zoe a bright yellow leaf.

"Oh my goodness, thank you Miss T." Zoe gasped as Tia pressed the leaf into her hand.

"Ma-ma!" Tia gasped, pointing at the kite.

"I know honey bun, Mallory is flying a kite. A kite." Zoe said, sounding out the letters for Tia.

"Kie!" Tia yelled.

"Good girl T!" Zoe said smiling. She stood up and scooped up Tia, swinging her into the air.

Evan looked back at her and smiled as Mallory ran towards her parents.

"You'll have to call Nana and Papa and thank them for the kite!" Evan reminded her. Mallory nodded and hugged her father.

"Thank you for bringing us here Daddy." Mallory said.

"You're welcome sweetheart, I'm glad you had fun." Evan said.

"Alright you two, who wants hot chocolate and a call to Nana and Papa?" Zoe asked.

"Na-na Pa-pa!" Tia screeched. Mallory giggled and poked her sisters foot.

"Let's call Nana and Papa!"