Retail

based off a true experience of mine

Zoe sighed and looked at the small clock on her computer. 4:37. She had just under an hour before she could go count her till.

Her shift had been long and drawn out and she had dealt with more shit than she had mentally prepared for.

She closed her eyes and heard a chuckle beside her. When she opened her eyes she saw her coworker closing up her station.

"Rough day?" She asked. Zoe nodded.

"It's not over yet. Still have another hour." Zoe groaned.

"I'm out now. You in tomorrow?" Zoe shook her head.

"No I have the day off but I'm in on Thursday." Zoe said. Her coworker smiled.

"I'll see you then!" She said before grabbing her coat and walking away. Zoe sighed and closed her eyes again.

A few minutes later she heard a sigh. Her eyes snapped open and there was a woman standing in front of her with her arms crossed and two children behind her.

"I'm so sorry ma'am." Zoe said.

"I've been waiting here for like a minute while you what? Have a nap?" The woman asked. Zoe sighed and began scanning the items the woman had placed in front of her.

"Your total is $43.76." Zoe said, pressing buttons on her cash register.

"$43.76?! Are you serious? These were on the clearance rack!" The woman said loudly.

"Mom, she's just doing her job." One of the children said.

"Ma'am, you have three items that are in between 10 and 15 dollars. Including tax, it comes to $43.76." Zoe explained.

"Whatever, it's on MasterCard." The lady said. Zoe nodded and pressed the MasterCard button on her screen before handing the terminal to the woman.

"Whenever it prompts you." Zoe said softly. The woman jammed her card into the slot and after a few minutes looked at Zoe.

"It says card declined." The woman said in annoyance, pulling her card out.

"Oh, that's really weird. Let me try it again and see if that works." Zoe said, frowning. She reentered the information and the woman put her card in the terminal.

"It still says card declined." The woman snapped. Zoe sighed.

"Do you have any other form of payment you could use?" Zoe asked.

"No! If I had I would've said something." The woman snapped. 

"Ma'am it appears to be a problem with your credit card." Zoe said slowly.

"That's impossible, my credit card never gets declined, it's your machine." The woman yelled. Customers started staring and Zoe blushed.

"Ma'am, I know there's nothing wrong with our machines. If you'd like, I can put these items on hold and you could come back tomorrow?" Zoe asked.

"You know what? Forget it. I don't want these anyway. I hope you can live with the fact that you're the reason this store gets a negative Yelp review." The woman yelled before grabbing her children and storming away.

+++

"Hey baby, how was work?" Evan asked. Zoe got into the car, screwed her face up and sighed.

"I had a Karen." Zoe sighed. Evan leaned over the console of his car and kissed her temple before gently running his fingers through her hair.

"Oh baby, I'm sorry." Evan sighed. Zoe looked at him.

"Can we get McDonalds? I want nuggets." Zoe whined.

"We can get whatever you want baby." Evan said gently. Zoe smiled lightly and Evan kissed her before pulling out of the parking lot and driving away.