Chilltober 5: ride

"Look T! What does a horsey say?" Evan asked.

"Neh!" Tia said firmly. Zoe laughed and Tia pointed at the cows nearby.

"Moooo!" Tia said. Evan smiled and Zoe nodded.

"That's right T! Cows say moo!" Zoe said.

"She can make animal sounds, big deal." Mallory whined, kicking the ground stubbornly.

"It is a big deal, just like how it was a big deal when you made animal sounds." Zoe said, pulling Mallory close to her.

"How old when I was making animal sounds? I bet I was younger than Tia." Mallory said.

"You were around her age. Maybe a little older." Evan said.

"Older?! How is she learning fast than I did!" Mallory gasped.

"Because unlike you, she has an amazing big sister to learn from. And the new baby will learn things quicker than Tia because they'll have two big sisters." Zoe explained. Mallory sighed and kicked a stone.

"Fiiine." She whined.

"Mal do you wanna go in the hay wagon?" Evan asked, pointing to the wagon in front of them. Mallory nodded and the family of four got in line.

+++

"Alright ladies and gentlemen, welcome to our fall hay ride. The ride is about 20-25 minutes depending on the speed of the horses..."

"Neh!" Tia screeched.  Some adults laughed and Mallory rolled her eyes.

"We will be passing many attractions and decorations, we ask that everyone keeps their hands inside the ride as to not damage any property or any fingers." The driver concluded. Mallory rested her head on Zoe's arm as the wagon lurched forward.

"What's the matter ladybug?" Zoe whispered.

"Nothing." Mallory insisted. Zoe didn't say anything and opted instead to gently play with her oldest daughters hair, gently twisting the pigtail around her finger.

"Boo!" Tia yelled as they passed a ghost hanging in a tree. Some people sitting near the Hansen's laughed and Mallory frowned, crossing her arms over her chest.

+++

"Okay ladybug, it's just us. Now why don't you tell me what's been bugging you?" Zoe asked, sitting on a hay bale bench.

"Noth-"

"Don't say nothing. You sulked the entire hay ride. Now out with it." Zoe said.

"You have Tia and the new baby and you're so busy with what they're doing that you're forgetting about me." Mallory said. Zoe's expression softened and she pulled Mallory into her arms.

"Mallory Cecelia Hansen. You are my first baby, my ladybug, and you made me a mom. I could never even, not in a million years, forget you baby girl. And Daddy couldn't forget about you either honey." Zoe soothed. Mallory tightly squeezed her mother.

"I love you Mommy." Mallory said.

"I love you ladybug."