• Chapter Four

Chapter Four

"Welcome to TRAPLANTA"
Part I

'You ain't like that old ho I used to be fuckin'
You and her nothin' the same' — Gunna

« Kauner »

"Every mu'fucka got the same cliche backstory, he loved a girl and she hurt 'em bad. She prolly' fucked his homeboy or had an abortion or some shit, and that's his excuse for bein' a dog to every woman he comes across." Amir says with a slight chuckle, over the sound of Sure Thing By Miguel playing on the pandora station on the TV.

"And what about you?" I ask, propping up on a pillow so I could see his face. "What's your story?"

All the lights were off and it was semi-dark in Amir's hotel room, but he was staying in the penthouse suite at the Four Seasons in Los Angeles so I could see a silhouette of his face against the downtown skyline.

"You know how ridiculous this shit looks, don't you?" He grins, referring to the pillows that I was using to keep us separated in the king sized bed.

"Nigga stop changing the subject! Come on, tell me. I wanna' know."  I said, playfully slapping his arm.

"What you wanna know ma? Ask me anything."

"Have you ever been in love, Amir?"

I could tell that he had to think about the question I just asked him, for a second it was quiet.

"I was, but shit didn't work out. Nothin' bout that situation scarred me to the point where I feel any different about relationships though. Life goes on with or without whoever, you know?" He says, seemingly trailing off and getting lost in his thoughts.

"What happened?" I mumble softly, fumbling with the Cartier LOVE bracelet on my wrist. "If you don't wanna' tell me that's okay too."

"Nah, you good." He assures me, immediately dismissing the last thing I said. "We wanted different things that's all. She wanted a life outside of Memphis, away from all the crazy shit that was happening in our hood and I wasn't prepared to give her that. So she left. She went to Texas for college."

"And you didn't go after her? Not even when you knew you were ready?" I raise my perfectly arched eyebrow. "You couldn't picture yourself in Texas at the rodeo? Is that it?"

"Heh. Nah that's not it at all. At a certain point, constantly asking somebody to love you is equivalent to begging. And that's some shit I would never do." Amir admits. "If you were in my shoes.. would you had went?"

"Believe it or not I probably would have." I roll my eyes, recalling some of the stupid shit I did. "Three weeks into my freshman year at Howard, I dropped out to follow Sincere to New York when he got drafted. And I don't even know why I did it, maybe I was just trying to find myself or some shit."

"That's ole dude from Miami right?" He questions.

"Unfortunately." I nod my head.

"How long were y'all together for?"

"Four years.. Four long ass years. And it's crazy because I legit couldn't stand his ass half of the time."