• Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

"Family > Everything"

'Nobody wins when the family feuds'
Part I

« Amir »

"Ma at least let me help you with the bags—.."

"No, move Amir!" My ma says, brushing past me with both of her hands full.

"Ma I know you ain't trippin' this hard over no lil' ass dinner."

"First of all, you mind your mouth when you talkin to me boy! And second, I'm not trippin over no lil' ass dinner. It's thanksgiving and we celebrate them together every year, as a family!" She rolls her eyes at me as she starts to unpack the contents of the brown paper bags. "Look, I like Kauner and everything but I just feel like you don't have to be up her ass every second of every day. If she's not comfortable coming over here for thanksgiving then she can spend the day with her own family and you can spend it with yours."

"What you mean Ion' need to be up her ass? That's my girl and ain't nobody who ain't in my relationship gon' tell me how to handle sum' in my relationship. No disrespect to you ma but Sasha and Bleu ain't family either if we keepin' it real."

"Amir please! You grew up with the both of them! A few short years ago you wanted to marry Sasha so you can spare me."

"When I was seventeen? Come on ma.. and for you to invite that girl here when you knew my girl was comin is crazy on your part and Ion' even blame her. That's disrespectful to me and my relationship." I swipe my hand over my waves as I let out a deep sigh. "But hey, at least you ain't gotta' eat dinner alone though.."

"Amir cool it with the melodramatic shit for real! If y'all don't wanna come then don't come! I'm not letting you or your lil girlfriend run my household. PERIOD!" She waves me off before moving over to the kitchen sink to wash her hands. "And I don't care nothin' about that lil ugly ass mean mug you wearing so you can get out of my face with that."

"You just be talkin man." I shook my head as I left the kitchen, leaving her in there alone. "Talkin bout nothin."

"What you say?"

"Nun!" I yell from the living room, where Shi was sitting on the couch watching reruns of Martin playing on BET. "Bring yo ass on nigga, we got shit to do."

I'm not even mad about the situation for real, it is what it is. Ma Dukes could move them hoes in her crib full time if she wants to, all I know is that I'm not subjecting my girl to none of that shit. Sasha been tryna' crawl back to me for years but I was never interested in anything else beyond getting my nut off. When we broke up and she left Memphis I saw that hoe for who she really is and I ain't want no parts. That hoe is a piece of work.

"You really not comin' to thanksgiving dinner at ya ma's crib?" Shi asks, passing me the blunt as I whipped my Cullinan through the streets of Atlanta.

"Hell nah I ain't going." I answer him before taking a long pull off the blunt. "Ion know what ya' auntie got goin on but Ion' wanna be included. My in-laws invited me to dinner at they crib anyway."

"Yo in-laws? Man get the fuck outta' here." Shi chuckles. "Mil was tellin' me that they have this blended-family situation goin on since their families so close. She told me to come but Ion' know man."