• Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"S.O.S"

'Shit, I'm a man with pride you don't do shit like that, you don't just pick up and leave and leave me sick like that'
— Jay-Z

« Milan »

"I'm looking for my daughter, Kauner Wright. She was brought in a little while ago. She was involved in a car accident." Kauner's dad tells the nurse as Auntie Ken clung to his arm, trying to keep her composure but she couldn't stop crying.

"Yes, your daughter is still in surgery. As of right now I don't have any updates for you but if you all could wait in the waiting area I'm sure the doctor will be out soon." The nurse explains, pointing us in the direction of the waiting area.

The first thing I saw was Amir sitting by the window with his head in his hands and Shi was sitting there with his arms wrapped around his cousin, comforting him. I had just called him looking for Amir to see if he was with Kauner when the accident happened and judging by the fact that he was covered in blood I would say he was.

"Amir whose blood is that?" I ask, on the verge of tears when I walked up to them. "If you were bleeding that much then you would've been in surgery or something just like Kauner, so whose blood is that?"

"I picked her up off the ground because she was just laying there." Amir lifted his head and looked up at me. "T-that's how I got all the blood on me. They told me I shouldn't have moved her but I ain't know. I was just tryna help her, I couldn't watch her lay on the ground like that."

His eyes were red and I could tell that he had been crying, he had her blood all over his white t-shirt, his arms and his hands. His voice was super shaky but monotonous at the same time. It was so strange seeing him this way.

I swallowed the huge dry lump in my throat as Shi stood up and put his arms around me, alleviating some of the scary thoughts running through my head. I couldn't hold my tears back anymore, I just wanted to be with Kauner and know that she was alright. The thought of anything bad happening to her had my mind all fucked up.

"He's in shock. The nurse said they had to sedate him when they came in. Do me a favor and just give him a minute, he still tryna process what just happened." Shi kissed my forehead just as I heard the footsteps of everyone else entering the waiting area too.

"Milan who is this?" My mom questions. I had my face buried in Shi's chest but I was almost certain that she was staring us down.

"Mom, this is Asshir. He's my friend. Shi, this is my mom Eryn."

"Well I wish I could've met you under different circumstances Asshir, but it's nice to meet you."

I wiped my eyes as the two of them shook hands. I also introduced her to Khalil and Amir, although Amir didn't have much of a reaction to anything. Auntie Ken threw a fit when she saw all of her baby's blood on Amir, I'm surprised they didn't come out and sedate her too. Eventually Uncle Gabriel was able to calm her down but she only wanted to sit next to Amir.

Shi also let them know that Amir was sedated, so nobody was pressing him to talk or answer any questions. We all took our respective seats and just waited for the doctor to come out.