11. Dimantle

11

Dismantle

I know some people, they would die for me
We run together, they're my family
When I get up, they gon' be high with me
I'll say forever, my family

—Family
Chainsmokers

MY BODY balanced itself on the stool that somehow was just the right height for me to not touch the LED.

"Shit." The LED in my study had just decided to give up.

Ugh. My back was paining from the amount of housework I had done today. Including my week's worth of laundry because sometimes I just seem to forget that the clothes I wear don't just clean themselves.

I went to the storeroom and opened the cupboard where I had stored the extra LEDs and took the taller stool with me.

"Alright, let's do this." I muttered as I placed the stool just below the LED and carefully placed a foot on it, it shook a bit. I put both my hands on the wall to steady myself and put my other foot and waited for a second to adjust and see if the stool shook or not. After I had balanced myself properly, I twisted the faulty LED and removed it. I bent and took the new one from the table and then placed it in the socket.

I smiled at myself proudly as I looked at the new LED that fitted perfectly.

Just then my phone rang and it was connected to the speakers that were placed around entire the house because I was playing some humble tunes. The aggressive sound of my ringtone took me by surprise and I lost my balance.

My ass planted on the hard floor and I whimpered.

"Mother—"

I moaned as I made my way by crawling on the floor towards the phone which was on the kitchen counter. On the other corner of the apartment.

Ouch.

I winced as I cried in pain when I put my hands on the counter and raised my wobbly body and was just about to sit on the stool when I feel striking pain in my derriere, I winced and quickly stood up.

I finally picked my phone and my eyes widened as I realised who was calling.

Regardless, I received the call.

I was silent as I heard breathing on the other line.

This was harder than I thought.

"The least you could have done is text me that it's cancelled."

I bit my lip.

"I don't gossip like your mother so I was practically clueless when I reached at the venue looking all handsome in my carefully chosen and elegant tuxedo and the guy over there is smiling at me like I have lost my mind."

Oh my god.

"I thought you knew and was just upset because I didn't tell you by myself!"
My pathetic excuse for defence made it's way to my tongue and he sighed.

"Look, sweetheart, I understand that you just ended things with a man who was going to be your partner for life. But all I am saying is, it would have been better if the father of the bride wouldn't have been so clueless about the entire situation."

"I know, I am sorry dad." I winced.

"Especially, after the mother of the bride, tried to take revenge by keeping the father in dark!" His voice became louder, possibly so that mom could hear it.