16. Be Thankful

16

Be Thankful

I was a wreck when you came along
When there was nothing left
You showed me the best
I'm still a mess but you hold on
Don't know just why you do
But I know I'm better with you
Better with you
(Jesse McCartney)

I PUT my bottle down and glanced up when my door opened and then closed.

It was Friday or was it Saturday?

"Hey, I was thinking I'll cut you some slack today and order Chinese, what do you say?" He hung his coat at the usual place and put on the slip-ons that were practically his now. It was like a routine alright.

"Sounds good." I slurred and took another sip the bottle which clinked when I set it back on the floor.

This caught his attention as he turned and his eyebrows knitted as he found me sprawled on the floor in my dark living room, with my back against the couch and a bottle of bourbon in my hand.

"Hey, what's up?" He came and sat in front of me and took my unoccupied hand.

I observed my hand in his and looked up to meet his eyes. The concern in his eyes was doing things to my heart that I once ran away from.

I smiled just to make him feel better.

"It's okay. I am celebrating." I purred.

"Celebrating?" He put his head at a distance from me to examine me.

I nodded.

"You don't look like you are celebrating." He lifted an eyebrow.

I had a blanket on my lap and some empty cups of coffee on the glass table, along with two tubs of ice-cream.

Oops.

I presume I went a bit too overboard, huh?

I reckon I wasn't celebrating then.

I giggled.

"I guess not then." I bit my lip guiltily.

"Em, what's wrong? Tell me." His eyes, cordial like usual.

His eyes, can I stare at them? For just a minute?

Green forest eyes, they remind me of the cliff I took him on. He was so happy when he saw it for the first time and those orbs were oh so sad when he talked about his sister. The way they lit up when I agreed to eat those healthy breakfasts he makes. That I discreetly find absolutely savoury.

These deep, dense, dreamy eyes.

3D eyes.

I chuckled at my ludicrous pun.

"Em?" He looked at me with those same eyes, worry evident in them.

"Why do you care?" I found myself asking before I even realised.