26. Coma

26

Coma

Climbing up this mountain
Climbing up twice
Hoping that I make it this time
But I'm so done with hoping
'Cause hoping is to failing is to
Falling down this mountain
Falling down again
Boom, boom
Heart beats still beating in the end
I'm choking
—This Mountain
Faouzia

IT WAS rather gruelling for Raymond to concentrate on his work. Despite that, he had gotten away with all of the meetings. Even though that was just by a nose. Throughout the day, people had been glancing towards him with eerie looks. And Raymond had no idea why.

Yet, Trevor was being incredibly supportive of his unsuspecting wariness. He managed to save him when he wasn't listening. He told him all about the meetings beforehand. And the files prepared by him were a huge help. Trevor had substantiated that Raymond was lucky having him as second in authority.

Raymond's daydream was cut short when his assistant, Erika, informed him that Dr Joseph French was here to see him. Joe's name was something that irked Joe a lot. It was similar to Emilia being provoked by being called Emily. But apparently, Joe didn't think he could change his name. By the time he realised he could, it was rather insignificant to change it. He preferred Joey, but Erika insisted on referring to him formally.

As soon as he saw Joe's face, Raymond didn't want to hear what was to come. But he knew he was curious and that would get the best of him, like always.

"You look like shit." Joe remarked at his first glance.

Gee thanks, bro.

"What is it?" Raymond cut to the chase. Joe gave him a small smile and moved in front of his desk. He seemed tired. And Raymond felt a bit guilty for attesting him with keeping her company even though the countless times Joe had assured him that Joe was a friend to Emilia too. And that it was something he would have done anyway. Raymond was curious as to how and when did their friendship grew so much. But he had other things on his mind.

"She's fine. It'll take about a month for her to heal completely. But she's out of danger." Joe sighed and glanced at his hands.

"But?"

"She's comatose."

"Coma?" Raymond wanted to shatter this massive window of a wall in his office as soon as he had heard that word.

"Yeah, that's what the doctors say, they think it's for the better. Easier for her."

Raymond gritted his jaws together and nipped blood in his lips when he sunk his teeth into his lower lip. He wiped it away with his hand.

"For how long?" Raymond managed to ask.

"We don't know yet. It could be a few days, a week or even a month. It all depends on the progress reports."

"I'll keep updating as soon as I know more, yeah?" Joe looked at Raymond with a bit of sympathy but masked it knowing it won't do him any good.

Raymond's hands gripped the glass as hard as they could and he pressed his head onto it. This was fetching out of hand. He had no clue what to do. For the first time, he was lost when he did not want to be lost. He wanted a direction. Promptly.