10. Hello Kalen

10

Hello Kalen

Sweet creature, sweet creature
Wherever I go, you bring me home
Sweet creature, sweet creature
When I run out of road, you bring me home

—Sweet Creature

Harry Styles

WE BOTH stood in front of the doors of my mother's house. I tilted my head at Ray.

"If you want to bail, now is the time." I put a hand on his shoulder and raise my eyebrows with a serious look in my eyes.

"Shut up and ring the bell." Ray shook his head.

"Fine. You said it." I shrugged and moved my hand to ring the bell.

"What are you gonna introduce me as?" Ray asked as I rang the bell.

"Ray?"

"Yeah right, didn't think of that." Ray said dryly and gave me a look.

"Well, then what do you want to me to say? The guy I met a few days ago?"

"Never mind." Ray sighed as we heard sounds from behind the door.

"Yeah, well you're paid for this!" My mother's faint voice is heard from behind as we both look at each other.

The doors opened revealing my mother in a navy blue jumpsuit with a navy blue belt at the waist.

My mother is one of those people who seem as if they would never wear pyjamas even to bed just because one can't simply imagine her with them. She's always well dressed, not a hair out of place.

My mother smiled at Ray politely and glanced at me as she opened the doors wide for Ray.

"Hello, Kalen." Ray smiled.

"Welcome, dear." She motioned us to come inside and we followed suit.

My mother's house is entirely contemporary and perfect just like her. Well, she designed it, so it demonstrates every bit of her. She's an architect. A surely incredible one at that. She's constantly working with the state on their latest projects and has her own company full of flourishing architects like her.

I admire her to a great extent except when she pesters me with founding my firm like her. She can't seem to wrap her head around the fact that not everyone wishes to work twelve hours per day. Some people like to just exist. Thank you very much.

I bit my lip as we made our way to the dining room, the familiar room was the same, a grey wooden mellow table with black abstract plush chairs. The walls were black except the white ceiling and had intricate details on each of them. There was a glass wall window looking over the vast lawn she had that was, obviously, well preserved.

I felt uneasy as I looked around the place. It was unduly perfect.

"Would you like a drink, Ray?" She asked as she opened the sliding window and we followed her.

"Sure." Ray shrugged.

She gestured some man in all white who nodded and disappeared to probably to get the booze.

We finally seated at the patio sofas and I put my purse on the glass table in front of me.

"So, Mily, how are you?" She settled and tilted her body to face me.

She was seated on the couch in front of us and we were sitting in our seaters.

"I am fine, mom, thanks for asking." I racked my brain to come with an explanation for this whole thing.