EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE

You're the coffee that I need in the morning
You're my sunshine in the rain when it's pouring
Won't you give yourself to me
Give it all, oh

—Best Part
H.E.R.

3 years later

I STEERED in sporting a t-shirt that said 'I need my morning caffeine'. I grinned when Ray turned and scanned my T-shirt.

His lips curved up in a wry smile and his eyebrow arched up.

"Couldn't have guessed." He rolled his eyes as I pecked him on the lips and took a sip from his cup. When it reached my lips, my face twisted in distaste.

"What the hell?" My head lowered and looked inside the mug.

Green tea.

"Not everybody "needs coffee to live" there are other options as well, you know?" He smirked while air-quoting my go-to line.

I frowned as I handed him his cup back and forced myself to move forward and lethargically reach for another cup.

"So dramatic." Ray muttered.

I pursed my lips and turned towards Ray to pester him for not making coffee for me. I found him holding a steaming cup of coffee towards me.

"You might as well as have proposed." I beamed as I took a sip, my lips finally met with the magic dose.

He looked at me with wide eyes.

Oh shit.

Did I just drop the marriage idea?

Just like that!

Ugh.

That's the reason I need my coffee. So I don't do stupid stuff like this. My eyes met his while sipped from the cup. I inhaled the aroma to calm my nerves.

It worked.

Always does.

He turned and rested his cup on the kitchen counter. I observed him as his hands reached for ingredients without even glancing at them. He worked in the kitchen with such finesse. Sometimes I wondered, a ballet symphony might start. And he will perform a ballet performance while cooking.

I think weird sometimes.

I blinked my stupid thoughts away. I watched Ray turn on the tv to catch the morning headlines. I rolled my eyes and put on my headphones with my piano melodies. I needed to align myself in the morning. Not get devastated hearing the world being its usual cataclysmic self.

He glanced at me and his eyebrows arched up questioningly.

"I have absolutely no interest in getting acquainted with what's going on in the world first thing in the morning." I explained.

We had moved in together a few weeks ago. It's amazing how even though you know the person after all these years, living with someone takes it all to the next level. It's like a natural way of getting acquainted with the person. Knowing their needs and wants. When you see the same face you had fallen in love with all those years ago the first thing in the morning. It kicks some different kind of emotion in you. You realise there will always be something unknown and you get excited because you want to know every bit of it.

I realised there was still a lot to learn about the person in front of me and I was thrilled to go on that journey with him. I loved that the first thing I saw in the morning was his smile. He always woke up before me. The warmth in his eyes never faded. Sometimes they were tired when work was pushing. Sometimes they were naughty when he was planning things that made me blush just by the thought of. Sometimes he just stared with that thoughtful look on his face. But he was always there. Right beside me.