6. Job hunting

6

Job hunting

It's time for water to brawl
It's time to follow your heart
It's time for buildings to shake
It's time for barriers to break
To break, to break, to break, to break
—Break the Barrier
Miss Li

I SIGHED as I came out of what was the fifth building I had gone to today.

Job hunting sucks.

It's official.

Especially on a Monday morning.

I had applied to every best job I could find near the area for a computer science engineer. I knew my projects were up to standards of a professional and though I have not had much experience in the Job sector somehow I had managed to get an executive job in the last company I worked for and that made an impression on several of these people.

I knew I should have left that job the moment I realised that the company had business with Zach. If I had, I wouldn't be job hunting right now.

Internal sigh.

I crossed the road and went to a cafe across the tech company I just had an interview with. Honestly, they were my best option and I had completed my internship here before so I already felt home.

I didn't wear too formal clothing, just skinny black pants and a white t-shirt. Of course, the stilettoes were killing me but, I look hot in them and I needed their support today. See what I did there?

I told them I had an executive job and managed to lose it within a year because I am moral like that, they just laughed it off and said the fact that I managed such a demanding job in such a young age was something quite impressive.

And I melted.

I mean, these people are great. Hell, they are the best.

I sat down at a table with my latte from where I could see the building. AIR tech is the largest growing corporation of its sort in the world and this is their most important office, if I get a job here I am practically going to be a prodigy in the tech world. They only hire the best, because well, they are the best.

I swooned over the building and logo from the view that I had from this table.

I opened my laptop and started working on this database that I was designing for an old client.

Hours passed and the cups on my table increased as I spent time working on the finishing touches of my project when my phone started ringing. With my fingers typing, my eyes glanced at the phone beside my laptop.

It was Zach.

My fingers froze as my eyes bored into his name flashing on my phone.

My gaze just bore at my phone at the word Zach as if it would disappear by doing so.

Finally, he decided to call.

Now, after a freaking week. What was he doing up until now?

And even then, I had no idea for what purpose. Maybe he just wanted to clear some mundane things that couples go over when they break up. 'Like what about our joint lease?'

We didn't have a joint lease. I always had my apartment.

As if, I had already presaged it to happen. Somewhere I knew that our relationship wasn't going to last. But I just didn't accept it.