9. I hate Mondays

9

I hate Mondays

If I told you this was only gonna hurt
If I warned you that the fire's gonna burn
Would you walk in?
Would you let me do it first?
—Name of Love (Bebe Rexha & Martin Garrix)

SOMETHING HAD changed between us after that talk. Like a huge weight had lifted between us and the barrier of uncertainty had just about vanished. We weren't doubtful of each other anymore, there was a layer of trust that was close to unbreakable.

The biggest thing was that in such a short amount of time I was closer to this person than some people I have been with for years.

Jessica Tennyson would be a good example.

I decided to call her today. I don't know I guess, I just missed her... However she was, she was my best friend and I was being super pathetic. But hell, I still did it. It was just a phone call, right? It's not like I went knocking on her door and forced her to be with me.

Just a call.

Which she didn't pick up.

I sighed as I glanced at my phone while my interviewer was going through my file.

Another interview, yes, because I wanted to take every chance I could get. And honestly, this time I want to make sure it's secure because the last one just wasn't the exact definition of reliable, hell it was far from it.

"Did I tell ya I hate Mondays?" I announced as I closed the door behind me and hung my coat.

"Loads of times. It's practically engraved in my mind now." Ray said from somewhere around the house.

"Good." I smiled at myself as I made my way to the living room.

"I think Emily might help you with this. She has quite a high level of experience." Ray spoke as I entered the apartment.

"What am I helping with." My face morphed into a grimace as I glared at Ray.

"And don't call me that. How many times do I have to say it?"

"Umm, I heard it the very first time, I just decided not to follow it." He stood up and put the coffee pot for me. And I melted.

He always remembers. Always.

"Would you two stop being so all over each other? It's nauseous." He put a hand on his and put his head back on the couch.

"Hello to you too, Joe." I knitted my eyebrows and looked at Ray. I raised an eyebrow to ask what's up with him and he just sighed.

Oh well.

"So what am I helping with?" I popped beside Joe on the couch.

"Well, Joe wants you to bestow some of your expertise on him."

This time, I raised both my eyebrows.

"I want to break up with Cecilia." Joe muttered with his hand still on his face.

Somehow that brought one song into my mind.

Cecilia, you're breaking my heart
You're shaking my confidence yeah

I blinked it away as I met eyes with Joe who was now looking at me expectantly.

Umm, okay.

So this was the experience and expertise Ray was talking about.

I gritted my teeth and looked at Ray who seemed to be enjoying this moment very much. Too much.

Did I mention he was a jerk?