35. You ask for ice-cream?

35

You ask for ice-cream?

Are you gonna kiss me?
'Cause you're taking me home
It's four in the morning
Are we doing this wrong?
This weekend I saw you
Through eyes that are new
You got me falling for you
And I kinda want to
Tell me what you mean
Is it all me?
—Fuck Up The Friendship
Leah Kate

SHE'S AT the exact place. The silhouette of her ever so poise and determined. Just like her. One of the things Raymond loved about her. Her tenacity.

"It took me about five years to find you.'' Raymond's serene voice echoed a little through the tiny cliff.

Emilia tensed, then relaxed when she sighed in acceptance.

Raymond was here. But Raymond felt he was miles away from her. She felt distant. The air deemed stiff. And the comfortable vibe that always seemed to surround them now seemed vanished into thin air. Replaced by thick emotions. Emotions that had no name. Emotions that were too complicated. To be expressed by words.

Raymond hesitated to go near her. Or if she wanted him there. What if she regretted ever bringing him to this place? The thought felt too bitter for Raymond to acknowledge. He sorted to find other alternatives instead.

"Did you bring ice-cream?" She asked all of a sudden.

Raymond sighed in relief when he picked up the bag that he had bought with him.

"I bought ice-cream and a complete Indian meal made by yours truly." Raymond gained a bit of confidence in the fact that he had done the right thing for once.

"Aren't you the best?" Emilia said snarkily.

Raymond had no idea what to make of it. But he decided to spread the stuff he bought on a sheet. Emilia was just sitting in the corner staring into the abyss. She seemed lost. Raymond's chest squeezed a bit looking at her like this. He couldn't help but feel a bit responsible. He took a deep breath and took out the container with Dal Makhani and the casserole with naan bread. Raymond knew she loved that the last time he had made it. So he had decided to make that again. Raymond left the ice-cream in the bag for later.

"Come here. Gotta do something first." She stared at him with an urgent look.

Raymond ran a hand through his hair and with hesitant steps he moved towards her. He helped her stand up. She was in the white hospital gown. Her hair the definition of disarray. Lips chapped. Eyes swollen. There was some mud on her face that he wiped away with a havering hand. She stared at him galled. Raymond smiled. She was so exquisite. Even in the homeless hobo look, she was still the most beautiful woman he had ever encountered.

Her eyes sparkled in the moonlight and oh Raymond just kept staring. She was everything. And he couldn't believe he had finally found her. Guys like to think they don't think about their princess, just like girls think about their Prince Charming. But that's not true. We fantasise about 'the one' just in a more manly way. Figures. But when he realised that she was it, Raymond felt the lump in his throat and thanked whatever ultimate power that had led him to her. 

Raymond's heart thudded uncontrollably. He still felt the imprints of her soft skin on his fingers. He was just a few inches away from her. And he was already showing signs of breathlessness.

Then out of a sudden, her gaze darkened and before Raymond knew what was happening. He felt the electric sting of burning pain on his cheek. The blood flushing to his side of the face. Raymond blinked and turned to his face. He saw an infuriated Emelia standing right there in front of him, glaring at him.