Chapter Thirteen

I am walking all alone in what feels like the stillest dead of night. Everything is shadowy and dim, the world perfectly silent, pervaded by an implacable stillness, steeped in a dark and depressing mood of total solitude.

Like I am completely alone in the world. The only living entity that exists. Disconnected entirely from this gloomy world where I had no purpose.It was the omnipresent deadness that stood out most. Stiff, sterile gloom colored every aspect of what I could see.

I got the sense somehow that there was an impending thunderstorm ready to erupt at any moment.

Then I saw her, the person I hate the most. Seriphe.Sitting on a dead tree trunk laughing at me. Calling me useless and all sorts of names. I charged to her taking her by surprise.

I strangled her, taking out all the hatred I felt for her. I felt her swooning but I did not care. I wanted her dead. I was going to kill her with my bare hands.

And then I heard people calling out to me. Their voices were indistinct but I very clearly recognized the sound of my name.They were all urgently yelling.

They yelled at me, saying something like it was crazy to be out there . Perhaps because of the imminent storm or some unknown, forbidden thing looming somewhere out there.

Then I heard it. My mother's sweet melodious voice,singing our song. It sounded as if she was crying.

Baby mine, don't you cry
Baby mine, dry your eyes
Rest your head close to my heart
Never to part
Baby of mine

Little one, when you play
Don't you mind what they say
Let those eyes sparkle and shine
Never a tear
Baby of mine

If they knew sweet little you
They'd end up loving you too
All of those people who scold you
What they'd give just for the right to hold you
From your head, down to your toes
You're not much, goodness knows
But you're so precious to me
Sweet as can be
Baby of mine

If they knew sweet little you
They'd end up loving you too
All those same people who scold you
What they'd give just for the right to hold you
From your head, down to your toes
You're not much, goodness knows
But you're so precious to me
Sweet as can be
Baby of mine
Baby of mine

I let go of Seriphe. I search for where the voice was coming from, but I didn't see my mother.

I let myself be absorbed by the music and closed my eyes. It was when I felt tears on falling onto my face.

I opened my eyes expecting to see my mother's soothing eyes but found Nana's instead. It was Nana singing all along.

I looked around my surroundings and found Clari holding her bruised neck giving me a look I could not comprehend.

I nearly killed Clarissa. I thought it was Seriphe but it was Clarissa. I am a monster. I nearly killed the only thing I had close to a friend. Something which I have never had in my life.

I saw Pa looking at me with sorrowful eyes. I got up and sat up straight. I placed my head on my hands and screamed.

For once in my life I wished I could cry. The pain I felt inside was killing me. I felt helpless and that frustrated me. I hated feeling helpless.

Nana soothed my back whispering sweet words in my ears which I couldn't decipher.

What I felt inside was beyond repair. No sweet words could fix it. I was utterly ruined.

"I am sorry Clarissa. As you can see I can be paged as non compos mentis."I say to Clarissa with my head still between my hands.

I didn't have the energy and the power to look into her eyes. I had lost the will to fight tonight. I wanted to sleep. I wanted to be alone.