🌊29🌊

(F/N) POV)

The next week flew by, and before we knew it, it was time to compete in regionals. Yeah, I was nervous. It's just like it was at the qualifier. I gathered my things and walked downstairs to have a light breakfast before I left for school to board the bus.

Hitoshi was the only other one awake, so he hugged me as I left, shutting the door behind me and unwrapping my granola bar.

I walked to school, the thought of regionals on my mind. What if we lost? I'm competing in the 1000 today too, what if  I can't win that? Would Sakura's sister have her way?

I quickly realized that school was a lot closer than I thought. and that I was overthinking this.

I'm sure I'll do fine, I'm sure I'll do fine.

I walked into the school lobby to be attacked with a hug from Mika, Emiko, and Kimi. "Guys...as much as I appreciate this....you're strangling me!"

They let go of me one at a time, careful to not let me fall. Emiko sighed, "Well, today's the day. You guys ready?"

I gulped, "Yeah, good thing the 1000 is last today, though. Then I can go all out in the medley."

Mika laughed, "You'd go all out either way."

I smiled, "Yeah, fair point. You guys do know the volleyball team is watching us, right?" Emiko nodded, "Yeah, Hitoshi told me yesterday."

I smirked, "You know, you and Hitoshi have been getting pretty close lately...any input on that matter?"

Emiko shook her head rapidly, "W-what?! No way!!"

I sighed, "Girl, you two clearly like each other as more than friends. Just tell him already." Kimi put her elbow on Mika's shoulder, "I mean, I told Osamu that I had a crush on him and look where I ended up."

She sighed as our captain called for us to get on the bus. The trip was a little farther than last time, but we were actually really quiet this time around.

We were all nervous, weather it be nervous for our teammates or nervous for our own swimming careers. The third years were freaking out since this was their chance to get scouted, and if they didn't win, this was it for them.

All of this really sunk in on the bus, and we entered the pool silent.

We did notice that the boys were there, though. At least that made us smile.

(Time Skip)

We'd won all of our races up to this point. Kimi won the 100 and 200 breastroke, Emiko won the 100 and 200 butterfly, Mika won the 100 and 200 backstroke, and I'd won the 100 and 20 freestyle. Each of us hitting the wall with tears in our eyes and shouts of triumph.

The four of us had secured our spot at nationals in those four races, the boys shouting for us with all of their hearts. We'd have a lunch break and then we'd start back up again with the relays. The long-distance races would be last.

While we walked to the canteen, I stopped. This caused the other three to stop walking too. I smiled, tears welling up in my eyes, "We're going. Individually and together."

The tears started falling as we pulled one another in for a group hug, now fully prepared for our relay.

The boys met us at the canteen, Atsumu running towards me. I grabbed hold of his back, wrapping my arms around him, starting to cry into his shirt. He understood, patting my head for comfort. Little did he know, that's exactly what gave me serotonin in the moment.

It was then that I saw my family standing behind him, smiles spread across their faces. I sprinted over to them, "Guys! We're going to Tokyo!" My parents hugged me first, My mom crying. "Good thing I wore waterproof mascara today! I'm so proud of you!"