Chapter 30: A softer side

Start from the beginning

"Of course, it would be rude not to." I said as I closed my eyes. Mary was rinsing my hair, and I didn't need my eyes to sting again.

"My-my name is Linda, your lady." she answered as she handed Mary a towel.

"Well then, Linda, please don't be afraid of me. The only scary ones in this house are my parents." I said with a small smile as I got out of the bath.

Linda just nodded. Mary ushered her out as I begone to dress. It might seem to be a bit odd that I'd let someone bath me and then make them leave when I was changing, but I had gotten used to, plus it wasn't that different from my life on Earth in the hospital.

Though I didn't want to be completely dependent, so I pulled on my dressing gown, and walked back to my bedroom.

"Maria!" someone yelled, and I was bumped into again. "Why does this keep happening to me?" I thought.

"I didn't know you were out of the tunnels, where have you been." Author asked me.  

"Oh, I've been out for a while, did Mason not tell you?" I asked.

Author shock his head no. "We've been searching for you for hours, and we only stopped now because of of dinner." he said. "Will you be joining us?"

Before I could answer, Mason appeared around the corner with a tray of food. "I am sorry for not telling the others about finding Lady Maria, but I need to make sure she was taken care of first." he said.

Author blinked, and then said "I'm sure you could've found a way to tell us. Now Maria, let's get going to dinner." he said, grabbing my arm.

"I'm afraid that I already brought dinner to Lady Maria, so she won't be joining you in the dining hall." Mason said with a small smile.

Author again said nothing, but he did let go of my hand. "Alright then." he said to Mason before turning to me. "I hope I'll get to see you at tomorrow night's dinner, right Maria?" he asked,

"Of course I will. I'm thinking since you've spent so much time in the secret passages, you could show me around them tomorrow." I said with a fake smile.

"I would love to Maria!" Author said, back to his usual self for a second. "Goodnight Maria!" he called over his shoulder as he walked away. Before he disappeared completely, he shot Mason a glare.

Mason ignored him, and just walked into my bedroom with me. "Why do you two hate each other so much, you've only met today?" I asked as I sat at my desk.

"This our first official time meeting, we've seen each other when I worked at the Miller's manor. They were the ones I was warning you about. You would be surprised at how wretched they are. " Mason said, putting down the tray of food in front of me. It was a bowl of delicious smelling soup, but I didn't reach for it.

"I requested they make you some soup to make you feel better." Mason explained. "And no, I did not poison it, if that is what you were thinking."

I grabbed a spoon, and hesitantly tasted the soup, and just like he said, it wasn't poisoned. In fact, it was delicious, and I then drank straight from the bowl.

 Mason chuckled, and I turned to glare at him. "Sorry, it's just that . . . I just didn't expect that."
he said.

I rolled my eyes, and finished drinking my soup. "And what do you mean by that?" I asked.

"There was no hidden meaning Lady Maria, I was just surprised that you would do something so unbecoming of someone of your status." he answered.

"I've been told that before." I said, "Is that why you haven't killed me, because I'm different?" I asked

"A little bit. When I first accepted the job to kill a young noble girl from a political rival, I thought it was easy. But it wasn't and you just made me rethink somethings." Mason said.

"What things?" I asked, propping up my head with my arm.

"Well like . . . I'm not sure really. Just that I don't want to just kill anymore. Instead I would like to understand. Understand what makes you so different. Understand what makes people want to protect you.  And to understand . . . why I want to protect you." 

I didn't respond. I mean, what else could I say after that. He has done a lot to help me today, and he sounds genuine, and I want to believe that he is. But still, I can't completely trust him, at least not yet.

"Well Mason, I am off to bed, so you can get going now." I said, standing up from my desk and going to my bed.

"Of course my lady, sleep tight." Mason said as he picked up his tray and walked towards the door. Before he closed it I called out.

"I still don't think I need your protection, but . . . I wouldn't mind if you taught me more ways to defend myself."

He looked shocked for a second, but quickly recovered. "Of course I will teach you Lady Maria."

"And also, you don't have to keep calling me that, just Maria is fine." I said with a small, but real smile.

"Alright then Maria. Good night." Mason said, shooting me a warm smile before closing the door behind him.