Ch. 23 - BATTLEFIELD

Blake's outfit

Chapter Twenty-Two 🦎 Battlefield 🦎

Chapter Twenty-Two
🦎 Battlefield 🦎

Fingers wrap through and around the worn threads in the net of a lacrosse stick. Backpack at his feet, an unusually pensive Stiles absentmindedly tightens the knots on the head of the stick. "You know, when you're drowning, you don't actually inhale until right before you black out. It's called "voluntary apnea." It's, like, no matter how much you're freaking out, the instinct to not let any water in is so strong that you won't open your mouth until you feel like your head's exploding. But then, when you finally do let it in... that's when it stops hurting. It's not scary anymore. It's-it's actually kind of peaceful."

"Are you saying you hope Matt felt some peace in his last moments?" Ms. Morrell asked, "I don't feel sorry for him."

"Can you feel sorry for the nine-year-old Matt who drowned?"

"Just because a couple of dumbasses dragged him into a pool when he couldn't swim, doesn't really give him the right to go off killing them one by one." Stiles scoffed and stopped working on his lacrosse stick to look at Morrell.

"And, by the way, my dad told me that they found a bunch of pictures of my girlfriend on Matt's computer. And not just of her, though. I mean, he Photoshopped himself into these pictures- stuff like them holding hands, and kissing... You know, like, he had built this whole fake relationship. So, yeah, maybe drowning when he was nine years old was what sent him off the rails, but the dude was definitely riding the crazy-train."

"One positive thing came out of this, though... Right?" Ms. Morrell said, hinting at the fact Stilinski got his job back. "Yeah. Yeah... but I still feel like there's something wrong between us. I don't know. It's just, like, tension when we talk. Same thing with Scott."

"Have you talked to him since that night?"

"No, not really... I mean, he's got his own problems to deal with, though... I don't think he's talked to Allison, either. But that might be more her choice, you know? But, I guess it brought her and her dad closer... Jackson hasn't really been himself lately...Actually, the funny thing is, as of right now, Lydia is the one who seems the most normal..."