JAXON (ALT ENDING)

---

        "See, I would order wine, but you're not at the drinking age yet," Jaxon teased. He tapped my plain drinking water and winked at me.

        It's been two days since our arrival back home. I remembered what I said in the car so clearly, that it was almost embarrassing to remember. It was fine, though. Everything worked out just fine. Here I was, being taken out to one of the finest restaurants, on a date with someone I met from ancient China.

       I still remember our ride home.

      "I can't believe we stayed there for a little bit over one year," Jaxon shook his head. "What a story..."

        "A story we can't tell anyone, right?" I turned to face him. He looked at the road. Not looked actually, he glared at the road. He always had a scornful look on his face... or an angry look.

        His face softened when he looked at me. He chuckled. "We'll be sent to a psych ward if we told anyone. I think this is our little secret."

        I let a slight laugh out. It faded because I know it was true. I wish I could tell someone because that would be a great bragging story. I was royalty at some point in my life. That was something barely anyone can say.

        The sudden realisation that Jaxon was still here with me... it led me to think about our relationship. What were we? Was the making-out and arguing with each other just hormones or did I truly love him? Back then, I always thought I was just being ridiculous but now that I'm sitting passenger humming songs in peace with him... My heart felt something that it hasn't had for a very long time.

        I was in love.

        Maybe it was still the lack of love I had... Maybe it was because I never found anyone else in the Palace attractive... I mean, it's been a year since I've seen a modern-day man... 

        Or maybe it was because I actually was in love with Jaxon. Could it be that?

        All the things we've been through... All the things we've witnessed... Besides, Jaxon was the only person who shared the same secret with me. Something about sharing this one thing was sort of intimate. Jaxon was attractiveeverything about him was. The way his light brown eyes were fixed to front of him, the way he had this thoughtful look on his face at all timessometimes glaringI felt safe with him. He was always playful and teased me, treated me like I was equal. He took an arrow for me.

        I think I was afraid to say that I was in love. There was nothing to lose. Jaxon had already confessed his love to me, which I declined. But you know what? He's starting to grow on me. We could try. There was nothing to lose. 

        "Jaxon," I began. My eyes were still glued to the front. We were still on the highway.

       He kept his eyes glued to the front as well. "What's wrong?"

       "I want to give us a try," I said, softly. "I think I'm starting to... like you, Jaxon."

       A quick brake of the car caused me to jump. Suddenly, the car began moving again. I frantically looked at him with widened eyes, in which he looked back at me with shock. My heart almost stopped as the experience with the car accident traumatized me. But as soon as I registered Jaxon's face in my brain, I knew I was safe near him.