73

I've made it. I've made it to the morning court assemblies the Emperor attends to. Instead of standing on the side, I was situated near the Emperor. The officials pretended as if I didn't exist, but I knew I was overwhelming. 

       I laid behind the Emperor's throne, on a golden seat that was comfortable for me. 

       Empress Wu Zetian had attended her husband's morning court assemblies like this. Behind the 'iron curtains', behind the Emperor's throne. But I wasn't going to be the first female emperor. I didn't want to stay long enough to be that... I also didn't want to get rid of the Emperor's sons. 

       Ha, I'm funny.

        I caught a few looks from some of the officials. They glanced back and forth from the Emperor to me. I was silent most of the time. They were discussing boring war tactics and I wanted to fall asleep. The only reason I was here was to help the turmoil that was happening in the capital and a few regions to the east.

          After they finished, I spoke up, "Your Majesty, are there provinces that may be wealthier than the rest?"

          "Your Majesty, is the Empress allowed to—" an official rushed to the front, but the Emperor flicked his wrist as a 'move' signal. 

          The Emperor cleared his throat. "Yes."

          "I believe if there is, we can have a system where we use wealthier provinces' taxes to fund other services in the poorer provinces," I responded, a little bit nervous because I didn't know how to word it. "I know we are unsure about why things are happening as of now, but I believe this can help."

          I observed the reactions of the array of men. A few officials patiently listened, some nodding their heads. Many were tight-lipped. I knew I would irritate them, and at one point, provoke them to do something terrible. The more they see me here, the more they'll get used to it.

        Which was what I believed.

        Minister Feng was the first to step in and counter my idea. I briefly explained even more, with details, and whatever I remembered from eleventh-grade law class. Whatever I spewed out, was pretty convincing because the Emperor didn't reject my proposal. 

        There was also a new chancellor the Emperor had chosen. He looked fairly younger than the rest, even with the long beard. We made eye contact and he smiled at me, nodding his head in approval. When I adjusted my position, he made his way to the middle.

        "Your Majesty, this is an excellent idea! Then, we will have more time to resolve this issue and not worry about citizens suffering," the new chancellor exclaimed.

          He praised my idea with an eager look on his face. The chancellor was at the top hierarchy. If he liked what I said, there was more possibility for the Emperor to accept what I said.

        The Emperor, even if I can only see the back of his head and his crown, nodded. "Empress, this is a great idea!"

        "Your Majesty, is she allowed to meddle with state affairs like this?" another minister asked, kneeling in the middle with a strong kowtow. Some of the officials looked down, some looked next at the people next to them. 

         I cleared my throat. "Are you insulting me?"

        The minister gritted his teeth. He glared up at me and shook his head. I didn't want to dominate the court because this would jeopardize my throne. It was not smart to put the spotlight on me. Yet, I really wanted to grill him.