32

"Blessings and longevity to the Empress Dowager." The statement filled the room, and so did the tension.

        "Happiness and peace to Mother," the Emperor greeted.

        "All rise," she said. She walked right next to me to face the Empress. 

        "Thank you, Empress Dowager." We all said in unison. 

       I stood up with hesitation and quickly walked away when she turned to shoo me. Her eyes were piercing. The tension was rising in the room. Everyone could feel it. After I placed myself next to Su Yin, the Empress Dowager cleared her throat. "Empress, what are you doing?"

        The Empress stood up. "This was a misunderstanding, I was just—"

        "I'm sure it was," she interrupted. "What has gotten into you? You know it is disrespectful to put your feelings above the harem—you should know better by now to keep your biases under control. Arguing with a Noble Consort since you are unable to deal with your emotions is improper. You are the mother of this nation, may you act like it."

        "Yes, Mother*," the Empress mumbled shyly. Her eyes concentrated on the floor, rather than the woman in front of her. The Empress Dowager scolded her as if she was a child. It was an entertaining thing to watch. Even the Emperor was trying his best to keep his cool but I noticed his ears turning red. 

         I tried my best to hide the mischievous smirk on my face. If I had the chance, I would give the Empress a big, mocking smile. Unfortunately, the Emperor was watching me. His eyes wandered to me instead of the Empress and I couldn't help but change my facial expression into a more pleasing form.

        Maybe this would be the last time the Empress would try to scheme against me.

         I still couldn't maintain the joy that I had after watching the Empress Dowager shame the Empress. It was karma. Seeing the Empress's face made me happy that someone finally stood up to her. No one was afraid to stand up to her except for the Empress Dowager. The Empress submitted to her always. Even for me, there were limits as to what I'd say to the Empress. Yes, there was a fear of her—it was rational to bite my tongue against the Empress, especially with the Emperor beside her. When the Empress slapped me hard across the face, I knew I had to refrain from saying such things. It was hard to bite my tongue at times. There were words that were meant to hit the ears of the Empress. 

           After the short mealtime, Su Yin and I decided to take a stroll to look at the trees. It was the amazing season of winter now, and the trees looked dead coated with snow on the skinny branches. It was Su Yin's idea that we go out and take a walk. As we walked together, side by side, she kept bringing up the details of last night.

        "How did you manage to do all of that?" Su Yin asked, leaning her face towards mine with curiosity swirling in her eyes.

        It was great to have a talk with Su Yin. We needed to catch up on each other's lives. I had a vague sense that Su Yin didn't enjoy her life in the harem. I understood. If the Emperor didn't favour you nor want you, what was the point in living a life filled with luxury when you don't serve your true purpose? Staying in the harem would prevent you from being in an authentic relationship. I could never stay here until I wilt. 

        "What do you mean?" I knitted my eyebrows. I knew what she was talking about.

        Her light, silky hair brushed against her cheek. The eyes of Su Yin slanted up, like an angry feline cat, yet she had soft features everywhere else on her face. She looked away to face the front. "Go against at least five men?"