41

Natural. It was starting to feel more natural here. I started considering this place my home. It didn't take too long for me to adapt to the environment, but I was afraid that I'd get too attached and never want to leave. For now, I stayed in my chamber. My bed was the most comfortable place I could ever be in, next to the composed melody of Hua Er's guqin. The season was starting to change. The white noise of the crackling fire was lessening, and without Hua Er's guqin, I indulged in the silence of my chamber. 

         The topic of the Empress was never brought up again. She continued to despise me and I said cheeky things to the Emperor just to spite her. It was a silent feud between us. I'd like to say that both of us kept it that way to benefit ourselves. Dong Mei was someone we never brought up but everyone here was raving about how she was going to give birth soon. It could be today, or tomorrow, or in a week. Predictions were rarely accurate considering the fact that this was ancient times. 

        "Ying Yue," the guqin stopped playing and Hua Er's eyes glistened. "Can we be able to look at the flowers today? Or will you be busy?"

         "Of course we can. This book was getting boring anyway." I replied, tossing the book on the side of my bed. I yawned. Reading about ancient Chinese medicine was like reading a math textbook. I hopped out of bed and let out a big stretch, moaning loudly to assert my dominance in case the palace women heard me. As Chen Xi and my youngest maid in which I kept on forgetting her name, Fen Ai,  placed the hanfu over my head. 

         Fen Ai broke her silence. "Milady, why do you never bother to wear clothes in your chamber?" 

         Hua Er chuckled. "Leave her alone, Ying Yue is just preparing for when the Emperor walks in on—"

       "Don't say anything you'll regret, Hua Er." I interrupted, maintaining a straight face. But as Hua Er gave me a teasing look, I cracked a smile. 

         My body felt more lightweight, more free, free because the breeze was finally rubbing against my skin. It was time to ditch the fur coat and heavy winter attire. No more coal burning, shivers under thick blankets, and finally, a chance to truly blossom. Flowers were blossoming, bright, vivid colours were coming to life.

        Pollen. There was also pollen.

        "Achoo!" My eyes tightened and my body was firm. 

       Snoopy giggled. "Milady, you have seasonal allergies?"

        I rubbed the bottom of my nose furiously, sniffling a couple of times. "Ah... Yes, I do. I get used to it after a week or two. My nose simply gets stuffy and itchy. I'm just very glad my eyes don't itch and get red." 

        As Hua Er and I walked through the gardens, I felt content. It was refreshing. The winter was moody, blue, and dark. There was nothing eventful. I stayed in the dark most of the time, usually dying of boredom. I feel as if, spring, could be a season of wonder, a new season to discover the beauty of the Imperial Palace. 

          "Can you smell the flowers, Ying Yue?" Hua Er asked. 

          I heard her deeply inhale the pink flowers next to me. I refused to step close to it. I shook my head. "I am against breathing in the flowers. If I do, I'm afraid I might die right here."

        She laughed. "I apologize. I forgot."

       A concubine was walking towards us, and it was soon to be revealed that it was Su Yin. She looked different, a sense of fatigue, but additionally, increased maturity on the face. When coming face to face with her, she bowed to me. She slightly stumbled but kept her head down. The top of her head faced me.